A brief description of the current configuration:
PC Win 10 pro with full TB3 (4 lanes of PCI), 1GB Ethernet, 64Gb Memory, 2x 1TB SSD and 500GB NVMe, external 12TB Ironwolf pro connected with USB 3.1
Tasks that I need to do.
1. backup of the internal drives 2.5tb and have a raid configuration. Currently, my 12TB drive is a stand-alone and it is at risk even being a new drive.
2. edit movies (4k) and photos with premiere and photoshop.
3. start using plex to send videos to my 4k tv and have a lower resolution version of the content ready for access by the internet.
4. I need the NAS unit to be at least 1 meter from the pc (TB cable)
5. My TV is 11 meters from the place where the NAS will be installed (because of the cabling has to go around the room to get to the TV HDMI input. Viewing distance is only 4 meters.
6. Have access to the NAS over the internet for retrieving docs and so.
7. I work alone and not in a workgroup. I don’t need to share the same content during editing with others and I don’t have a 10GB network infrastructure.
So those are my objectives.
What is your advise to accomplish those mentioned tasks?
is the TS-453BT3 my best option?
If you are editing from NVMe drives – nothing will really beat this speed. But you can easily do 4K editing from TS-453BT3. With just two SSD drives inside – you will achieve amazing transfer speed. SSD also has increased IOPS for quicker small data requests. It also has HDMI and Plex support (over the network and HDMI). If you need HDMI extension, you can either link cables together or consider HDMI over network solution. Transcoding engine will ensure video file playback even over the internet. Or media devices with limited file compatibility.
Everyone is moving towards 10GbE now, as it gets really cheap. With a correct setup, editing can be done with aggregated 10GbE connections. The most popular network / thunderbolt editing device is TVS-882ST3, but it is slighlty pricey.
Find regulary updated NAS offers here
Of course I would prefer you choose AMAZON UK AMAZON USA to buy your perfect solution, however, if you would rather buy locally, please use the links used above to take you to your local Amazon store and help support this free advice service with ad revenue. More ways of supporting the blog are described HERE