I am considering to buy a QNAP ts-453b-8gb to use for backup of my home-office, as home media center and to replace a 10-year-old PC. I would like to know if I can install a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-5525 (dvb-t2/ s2 and more PCI card) and use it with Plex for TV (sat or dvb, LiveStreaming and recording on/through QNAP). I read that Plex LiveTV now supports also SAT TV. I am not sure if QNAP supports Hauppage WinTV-HVR-5525, maybe on Windows VM created on QNAP? or is it better to use 2 TV USB STICKS (DVBT2 and S2)? Thank a lot.
This card is for Windows. So technically if you set up the virtual machine you should be able to install player app and drivers and stream Satelite TV. You can also get USB dongle and set it up this way. Plex will see the TV tuner and will let you stream the TV channels.
Some specs from the manufacturer:
WinTV-HVR-5525 TV tuner kit
6-in-1 TV receiver in one half height PCIe board!
Satellite plus DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-C and analog TV
- Receive 6 different TV and video formats:
- Freeview HD (DVB-T2)
- Freeview (DVB-T)
- Freesat (DVB-S/S2)
- Digital cable DVB-C
- PAL TV
- Analog video
- Watch and record High Definition Freesat digital satellite (DVB-S and DVB-S2), Freeview digital HD TV (DVB-T2), Freeview (DVB-T)digital cable TV (DVB-C) in the original digital TV format and quality.
- Now includes WinTV v8 HD application for High Definition TV viewing and recording!
- Includes Hauppauge remote control for WinTV v8 and Windows Media Center
- Fits in both half height and full height chassis. Half height board with a separate full height bracket included
Freesat Hi-definition Satellite DVB-S2 and DVB-S features:
- Freesat Free-to-air digital satellite receiver (DVB-S and DVB-S2)
- Record satellite TV programmes to disk in their original digital quality
- DiSEqC 1.0 supported
Freeview HD DVB-T2 features:
- Freeview high definition terrestrial DVB-T2 receiver
- Record Freeview HD programmes to disk in the original high quality format
Freeview DVB-T features:
- Freeview terrestrial DVB-T receiver.
- Record Freeview programmes to disk in the original digital TV format
- Supports DVB radio
DVB-C digital cable TV features:
- If you live in an area where digital cable TV is provided without encryption:
- Watch cable TV programmes on your PC, in a window or full screen
- Record cable TV programmes to disk in the original high quality format
Analogue PAL/SECAM TV features:
- Record and pause analogue TV to disk using ‘Good, Better or Best’ MPEG-2 comptression. Teletext and Nicam stereo audio too
- Listen to FM radio with the built-in FM radio receiver
- Auxiliary audio/video input for analogue video sources such as camcorders or VCR’s