Editing in 8K network requirements
8K Today – Ethernet – Source: ATTO
The Challenge: 8K Workflows
Ethernet provides a cost-effective shared storage solution for small-to-midsize media production studios. Though 10GbE continues to play an important role in 4K workflows, new formats such as 8K require additional bandwidth. To future-proof your environment for new production formats, a more robust, low latency connectivity technology is required, one fast enough to handle multiple uncompressed 8K video streams.
The Solution: ATTO FastFrame NICs
The industry-leading latency and throughput of ATTO’s FastFrame 40GbE NICs enables high performance applications such as uncompressed 4K and 8K video workflows. A single stream of 16-bit 8K EXR video at 24fps requires 28.2Gb/s of bandwidth. Although that need can be met by teaming or bonding multiple 10GbE ports, using a single port on a FastFrame 40GbE NIC provides a more cost-effective, power-efficient solution.
While most competing 40GbE NICs on the market perform at less than 30Gb/s, FastFrame NICs achieve near-line rates on 40GbE — enough to support even uncompressed 8K. The unparalleled throughput of FastFrame 40GbE NICs is made possible by its implementation of Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) over Converged Ethernet (RoCE), a feature that uses zero copy data transfers to permit more efficient data movement between servers and storage, freeing up the host’s CPU for editing, compositing and rendering. RoCE is already a standard in latency-sensitive markets such as high performance computing clusters (HPCC), and is seeing increased adoption in editing workflows due to its latency and CPU utilization benefits.
- High-performance I/O connectivity and lossless Ethernet support where guaranteed data delivery rates are required
- FastFrame 40GbE NICs combine near line-speed 40GbE throughput with ultra-low latency to enable high-performance applications including 8K/4K video streaming and editing
- Can network multiple workstations for collaborative editing
- High bandwidth and managed latency for high-performance, Enterprise-level iSCSI/iSER (iSCSI over RDMA) storage
- Proprietary ATTO Advanced Data Streaming (ADS™) technology provides controlled latency and data acceleration to enable delivery of multiple concurrent video streams with no dropped frames
- ATTO transfers up to 116% more data at the same power cost as competitors
With Energy Efficient Ethernet and RoCE support, ATTO 40GbE NICs offer higher ROI than competitors by ensuring the maximization of resources and minimization of OPEX. Upgrade to 40GbE and be 8K-ready.