Synology DS1819+ 8-Bay NAS on the way for 2018?
If you are looking for a NAS for business, editing large files and backing up all that important information you keep generating every day, then chances are that you are one of the many people who are pleased to know that there is talk of a new Synology 8-Bay NAS towards the end of 2018. The new Synology DS1819+ is cloaked in a lot of secrecy and the details we have received are pretty thin. Nevertheless, there is enough information for me to let you know what I have been told and maybe help you decide if this new 8-Bay NAS is right for you.
Is the Synology DS1819+ better than the DS1817+ NAS?
When the Synology DS1817+ NAS was first announced back in summer 2017, it is fair to say that it met with a mixed response. Synology has an excellent reputation for NAS and a flagship 5-Bay and 8-Bay was in HEAVY demand. The much older DS1815+ was now showing it’s age in peoples eyes and the CPU had suffered a bit of a PR issue earlier that year. So when the newer DS1817+ NAS was announced last summer, people we excited to see the familiar 4 LAN Ports for speed, excited by the PCIe slot for 10GBe and SSD Cache card upgrades – but rather underwhelmed by the fact it had the exact same CPU as the 2015 released device. This slight lukewarm reception would be fixed much, much later in the year with the release of the improved 6-Bay DS1618+ NAS that featured a better CPU, but maintained all the key positives of the DS1817+.
This is where the brand new Synology DS1819+ NAS comes in. All indications point to this device featuring the positive and popular hardware advantages of both the DS1817+ and DS1618+ and combining them into a great new 8 Bay NAS. This will sit neatly in the food chain of the Synology NAS range and present a much better option for NAS buyers.
What are the specifications of the Synology DS1819+ NAS?
As mentioned, the details we have received from the east are pretty thin on the DS1819+ diskstation NAS. Synology is pretty tight-lipped when it comes to new releases, maintaining a similar approach to Apple in their strict control of leaks and early information. However, I can confirm that the Synology DS1819+ will feature the following:
- It will feature an Intel Quad Core CPU (see rumour area below)
- It will support two of the DX517 and allow you to add an additional 10 Bays of storage
- It will arrive with BTRFS and SHR
- No confirmation on the chassis, but can imagine a near identical revision of the DS1817+
- RAID 0/1/5/6/10 support and more with the expansion
- 4x RJ45 LAN 1Gbe ports
- 3 Years Warranty
- PCIe Slot for adding 10GBe and SSD Cache Upgrades
Below are educated guesses regarding the Synology DS1819+, so please treat them as rumour until confirmed
- Although I am 95% sure the CPU in the DS1819+ will be the same Intel Atom C3538 Quad Core CPU we saw in the DS1618+, there is an outside chance that it may not be. This is largely based on the existence of the DS1019+ 5-Bay NAS being released in Sept/Oct 2018. This brand new 5-Bay NAS featured the J3455 CPU and NVMe SSD slots – a BIG change from the DS1517+. Although it is pretty unlikely, there is always teh chance that Synology will pass this hardware over to the 8-Bay and make (potentially) the most popular 8-Bay NAS they have ever produced. Sadly though, I anticipate it being a bigger version of the DS1618+.
Should I wait for the Synology DS1819+ or Buy a NAS now?
At this time of writing, there just isn’t enough information to justifying waiting on the new 8-Bay DS1819+ release. If you are looking for a business equipped NAS, with a good amount of storage, PCIe upgrade options, a good CPU and great transmission, then you would do well to consider the DS1618+ NAS that is available RIGHT NOW! Otherwise, we will add more information on the new DS1819+ unit as it arrives and share everything we know here. Of course, if you want to stay on top of information on the new DS1819+, then you need to subscribe here to NASCompares – just click the notification button on the bottom right corner there!
Check Availability and the Release of the Synology DS1819+ Diskstation NAS here –
Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
SEARCH IN THE BOX BELOW FOR NAS DEALS