Will I be able to connect my NAS to either router?
I have to say- a very good choice with a NAS. It is the fastest thing I have seen so far when I tested it with SSD filled bays. The CPU ensures you get absolute faster data transfer speeds as well as easily transcode any video file you would throw at it. Thunderbolt connectivity is very useful for those who are not quite ready to upgrade to 10GbE or do not want to play with 10g converters for a MAC. That NAS is a beauty.
Regards to routers. It will connect to either of these. You can connect it using regular Gigabit Ethernet or even link aggregate two LAN ports or connect using 10GbE ports (they are backwards compatible).
The best performance would be if you connected the NAS and the router via 10g using cat6a cable (you can find 10g port on a NETGEAR GS810EMX-100UKS Nighthawk Pro Gaming SX10).
Find regulary updated NAS offers here
Of course I would prefer you choose AMAZON UK AMAZON USA to buy your perfect solution, however, if you would rather buy locally, please use the links used above to take you to your local Amazon store and help support this free advice service with ad revenue. More ways of supporting the blog are described HERE
More about DD-WRT
Benefits range from being able to create Wi-Fi hotspots in your home and increasing your antenna signal transmission strength, to encrypting your entire network by tunneling all traffic through a VPN connection in your router.
Feature Upgrades of DD-WRT Firmware
- FIRMWARE BUG FIXES IN LINKSYS, ASUS, NETGEAR, TP-LINK, D-LINK, BELKIN, & MORE.
- OpenVPN, PPTP, & L2TP VPN CLIENT/SERVER INTEGRATION
- IMPROVED NETWORK STABILITY & NETWORK STATUS INFORMATION
- ACCESS RESTRICTIONS– TIME, WEBSITE, APP & USER-BASED
- VLAN (VIRTUAL LAN) SUPPORT – MANAGE SEGMENTED WIRELESS NETWORKS ON THE SAME ROUTER
- WPS (WIFI PROTECTED SETUP) DISABLED BY DEFAULT
- BANDWIDTH GRAPHING/STATISTICS– REAL-TIME, DAILY & MONTHLY
- ADVANCED WIRELESS MODES – ACCESS POINT (AP), WIRELESS CLIENT BRIDGE & REPEATER MODES
- DHCP SERVER – USING DNSMASQ WITH DYNAMIC AND STATIC DHCP LEASES
- ADVANCED PORT FORWARDING – CREATE PORT FORWARDS, REDIRECTS, & TRIGGERS WITH INCLUDED UPnP (UNIVERSAL PLUG AND PLAY)
- 3G/4G CELLULAR USB WAN SUPPORT
- DNS FORWARDER – DNSMASQ WITH LOCAL HOSTNAMES, DOMAIN NAMES, AND INTERNET ADDRESS CACHING
- SAMBA FILE-SHARE/CIFS CLIENT
- DYNAMIC DNS (DDNS) SERVICE INTEGRATION
- IPV6 SUPPORT
- LOGGING CAPABILITIES
- SPI FIREWALL / IP TABLES ACCESS
- INTEGRATED WIRELESS SURVEY PAGE – VIEW OTHER WIRELESS NETWORKS IN YOUR AREA
- RADIUS AUTHENTICATION – ENTERPRISE LEVEL WIRELESS SECURITY
- WI-FI HOTSPOT INTEGRATIONS – FOR BUSINESS OR NEIGHBORS WITH A VERIFICATION PAGE USING THE INTEGRATED CHILLISPOT OR NOCATSPLASH
- TELNET/SSH SUPPORT
- WAKE-ON-LAN – REMOTE NETWORK ACCESS
- NAT (NETWORK ADDRESS TRANSLATION) SUPPORT
- WDS (WIRELESS DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM AKA WIRELESS BRIDGING) SUPPORT
- JFFS2 SUPPORT
- PROCESSOR OVERCLOCKING (LIMITED TO CERTAIN DEVICES)
- TCP BIC CONGESTION ALGORITHM
- ADJUSTABLE ANTENNA TRANSMISSION SETTINGS – TO INCREASE WIFI STRENGTH
- MILKFISH SIP
- MMC/SD CARD SUPPORT
- XLINK KAID – FREE ONLINE GAMING FOR MULTIPLE GAMING CONSOLES LIKE XBOX, XBOX360, AND PS3.
- FTP SERVER
- MULTIPLE BSSID (DIFFERENT MACS FOR VIRTUAL INTERFACES)
- MULTICAST FORWARDING/FILTERING