Which M.2 SSDs can be used with a PS5 console?
A Google keyword to use is “PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe ”
- NVME / PCIe (NOT SATA)
- The first two numbers are 22 Indicating WIDTH (M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110)
- PCIe Gen4 x4 indicating the connector speed/standard
User managed SSD compatibility list bellow
Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
Capacity: 250 GB – 4 TB
Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format or a double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.
Sequential read speed: 5500 MB/s or faster is recommended
Module width: 22 mm width (25 mm width is not supported)
Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width; the remaining digits, to the length.
Socket type: Socket 3 (Key M)
Total size including cooling structure:
In millimetres: smaller than 110 mm (L) x 25 mm (W) x 11.25 mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33 in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442 in (H).
See below for full requirements.
The following M.2 SSD lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles:
30 mm, 42 mm, 60 mm, 80 mm, 110 mm (corresponding to the form factor type, per above).
A 22 mm-wide M.2 SSD module is required.
The total structure (including an added cooling structure) cannot exceed 25 mm (0.984 in).
The total height of the M.2 SSD and its cooling structure (such as a heatsink)—whether built-in or separate—must be less than 11.25 mm (0.442 in).
The height must also be in the right place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board:
- The size below the board must be less than 2.45 mm (0.096 in).
- The total size above the board must be less than 8 mm (0.314 in).
(Note: millimetre measurements are the technical standard and are more precise than inches. We recommend double-checking that the total dimensions of M.2 SSD and heatsink products that you’re considering meet the millimetre requirements before purchasing)
- Both single-sided and double-sided M.2 SSD devices are supported.
- M.2 SATA SSDs aren’t supported.
- You should carefully review drive specifications prior to purchase and contact the vendor or manufacturer if you need further information. SIE cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console, and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.
- Not all games are necessarily playable with exactly the same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500 MB/s.
- The majority of M.2 SSD devices with the above type numbers (M Key Type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110) and without a built-in cooling structure will fit the PS5 console’s SSD slot. However, sizes for cooling structures (like heatsinks) vary greatly. If you are not sure that an M.2 SSD or cooling structure (such as a heatsink) that you’re considering meets the size requirements outlined here, we recommend looking for another product option or contacting the vendor or manufacturer for more information.