The Brand New Drobo 5D3 5-Bay RAID Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure for Mac DRDR6A21 and DRDR6A31
Designed for media professionals, content creators, and small businesses running Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Lightroom, and other I/O intensive applications, or even those who just need to back up terabytes of data, the 5D3 5-Bay Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure from Drobo is equipped with five 3.5″ SATA drive bays that support SATA III 6 Gb/s and SATA II 3 Gb/s drives.
The 5D3 distinguishes itself from the original Drobo 5D and 5Dt through the inclusion of Thunderbolt 3 technology, which is accessed through two integrated Thunderbolt 3 ports, which operate with bi-directional data transfer speeds of up to 40 Gb/s. Those who own the MacBook Pro 2016 or the newly revealed iMac Pro 2017 will certainly see the speed advantages of Thunderbolt 3 and the Drobo 5D3.
Why does the Drobo 5D3 Arrive with two Thunderbolt 3 USB-C Ports?
While one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports is used to connect the 5D3 to your compatible system, the second one is used to daisy-chain up to six Thunderbolt devices together, including one 5K display or two 4K displays. The Thunderbolt 3 ports also provide 15W of charging power for Thunderbolt 3 laptops, and there is also one USB 3.0 Type-C port, which transfers data at speeds up to 5 Gb/s. Please be aware that the 5D3’s Thunderbolt 3 ports are only compatible with Mac, while the USB 3.0 Type-C port can be used with both Windows and Mac.
What are the Specs and details of the New Drobo Thunderbolt 3 DAS?
Below are the details available on the Drobo DRDR6A21 and DRDR6A31 for Mac:
- £500+ ex.VAT (most likely in the £540-550’s area)
- It’s predecessor, The Drobo 5DT is £700+ ex.VAT, so large price difference with the newer and faster device being cheaper!
- 5-Bay – SATA HDD/SSD of the very latest 10TB and 12 TB from Seagate and Western Digital
- LED outside per drive – Drive Health, Standby, Access, Temperature, Data Transfer, Individual Drive , Capacity low-Med-High, Thunderbolt Activity, Blue Line LEDs for overall system Capacity and free space
- 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports – over USB-C Connector – MAC ONLY, supporting Apple macOS X 10.10 and higher
- 1x USB 3.0 USB-C Port – WINDOWS & MAC Compatible
- mSATA SSD Cache Slot – Arrives unpopulated, but lets you install an mSATA SSD for vastly improved Read and Write speeds
- BeyondRAID from DROBO – So you can use ANY drives (size, speed, brand, etc) and still maintain a healthy and maximum capacity RAID array
- DAISY Chain (Mac Only) upto 6 Devices – Supporting One 5K or Two 4K Displays + 15W of Charging Power via Thunderbolt 3
- Enhanced Time Machine Support – Drobo is compatible with Apple’s Time Machine, which will consume the capacity of an external storage system. By utilising the Drobo Dashboard, you can simply allocate capacity limits for backups and data storage.
Thunderbolt 3 Cable (3.3′)
Power Cord with Power Supply (6′)
Limited 2-Year Warranty