Synology release a new Standard NAS 2-Bay for a little over £200 ex.VAT
Synology DiskStation DS218 is a high-performance, low cost and versatile 2-bay NAS designed for small offices and home users to effectively manage, protect, and share data. Its 64-bit quad-core processor delivers highspeed data transmission and 10-bit 4K H.265 video transcoding to empower shared data storage and multimedia entertainment. Synology DS218 is backed by Synology’s 2-year limited warranty.
Optimal Price-Performance Ratio via the DS218 NAS
Synology DS218 is a 2-bay network attached storage solution equipped with a 64-bit quad-core processor and 2GB memory, providing high sequential throughput performance at over 112 MB/s reading and 112 MB/s writing. With hardware accelerated encryption, DS218 delivers encrypted sequential throughput at over 112 MB/s reading and 111 MB/s writing. DS218 is also optimized for 10-bit 4K H.265 video transcoding via Video Station. You can organize personal digital video library with comprehensive media information, and stream 4K Ultra HD movies and films to various devices such as computers, smartphones, media players, and TVs. If your device is not capable of 4K video playback, DS218 provides online 4K video transcoding to 1080p or lower resolutions for smoother and time-saving video watching experience
Cross-Platform File Sharing and Data Synchronization with the Synology DS218
DS218 supports comprehensive network protocols, ensuring a seamless file sharing experience across Windows®, Mac®, and Linux® platforms. Windows AD and LDAP integration allows DS218 to fit quickly and effortlessly into any existing network environment without the need to repeatedly create user accounts. Cloud Sync keeps your Dropbox, Google™ Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Baidu, and Box storages in sync with your personal DiskStation at home. Cloud Station Suite allows you to sync files effortlessly among multiple devices — Windows PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android™ tablets/phones — keeping everything up-to-date. DS218 combines seamless file sharing capability with hardened security, even over the Internet with HTTPS, built-in firewall, and multiple auto-blocking mechanisms against IP and account intrusion.
Use the Synology DS218 as an Easy Backup Solution
With block-level incremental backup and cross-version deduplication, Synology Hyper Backup provides multi-version backup with optimized storage utilization, and allows data backup to multiple destinations, such as local shared folders, external hard drives, network shared folders, rsync servers, and public cloud services
Anywhere/Anytime Availability on the DS218 NAS
Synology provides various mobile applications allowing you to enjoy your multimedia library even when on the go. Available on iOS, Android™, and Windows Phone® platforms, DS photo, DS audio, DS video, and DS file enable access to your Synology NAS through Photo Station, Audio Station, Video Station, and File Station. What’s more, you can use DS get to remotely manage and monitor download tasks on Download Station. QuickConnect allows you to connect via a simple customizable address so that you can instantly access media and work files on any Windows/Mac/Linux computer, laptop, or mobile device.
24/7 Security Solution with Synology DS218 and Surveillance Station
Featuring user-friendly video management tools and an intuitive desktop-like interface, Synology Surveillance Station is a reliable private-security solution that can support multiple IP cameras connected to the same network with DS218. Surveillance Station features optimized live view together with streamlined real-time monitoring. Its powerful analytics, such as motion detection and alert notification, allow you to stay informed of any suspicious activities with triggers sent via SMS, e-mail, and DS cam mobile application.
Energy-Efficient and Easy Management with DS218
Synology DS218 is designed and developed with energy efficiency in mind. DS218 consumes only 14.99 W in regular operation. Wake on LAN/WAN and scheduled power on/off can further reduce power consumption and operational costs. With HDD hibernation, hard drives can enter the energy-saving mode automatically when the system has been idle for a specified period of time.
Synology DS218 Hardware
- Hardware CPU – Realtek RTD1296 quad-core 1.4GHz
- Hardware encryption engine – Yes
- Hardware transcoding engine – Yes
- Memory – 2 GB DDR4
- External ports – 1 x USB 2.0 port, 2 x USB 3.0 port Size, LAN 1 x 1GbE (RJ-45)
Synology DS218 Software and Applications
- File Station – Virtual drive, remote folder, Windows ACL editor, compressing/extracting archived files, bandwidth control for specific users or groups, creating sharing links, transfer logs
- FTP Server – Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocol, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs
- Universal Search – Offer global search into applications and files
- Hyper Backup – Support local backup, network backup, and backup data to public clouds
- Backup tools – DSM configuration backup, macOS Time Machine support, Cloud Station Backup
- Shared folder sync – maximum tasks: 2
- Cloud Station Suite – Sync data between multiple platforms by installing the client utilities on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS devices, while retaining up to 32 historical versions of files
- Cloud Sync – One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Amazon Drive, Amazon S3-compatible storage, Baidu cloud, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, MegaDisk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack Swift-compatible storage, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk
- Surveillance Station – Maximum IP cameras: 20 (total of 600 FPS at 720p, H.264) (includes two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)
- VPN Server – Maximum connections: 5, supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN™, L2TP/IPSec
- Mail Server – Supported Mail Server protocol: POP3, SMTP, IMAP, support LDAP/AD account
- Mail Station – Webmail interface for Mail Server to receive emails from multiple POP3 mailboxes, customizable SMTP server
- Collaboration tools – Chat maximum users: 500, Office maximum users: 100, maximum simultaneous editing users: 30, Calendar: support CalDAV and access via mobile devices
- Note Station – Rich-text note organization and versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments
- Storage Analyzer – Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files
- Antivirus Essential – Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update
Download Station Supported Download Protocols: BT, HTTP, FTP, NZB, eMule, Thunder, FlashGet, QQDL, Maximum concurrent download tasks: 30
- Web Station – Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB®, 3rd-party applications support
- Other packages – Video Station, Photo Station, Audio Station, DNS Server, RADIUS Server, iTunes® Server, Log Center, additional 3rd-party packages are available on Package Center, iOS/Android™ applications DS audio, DS cam, DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS get, DS note, DS photo, DS video Windows Phone® applications DS audio, DS file, DS finder, DS get, DS photo, DS video
Synology DS218 NAS
Need Advice on Data Storage from an Expert?We want to keep the free advice on NASCompares FREE for as long as we can. Since this service started back in Jan '18, We have helped hundreds of users every month solve their storage woes, but we can only continue to do this with your support. So please do choose to buy at SPAN, use links to Amazon on the articles when buying to provide advert revenue support or to donate/support the site below. Finally, for free advice about your setup, just leave a message in the comments below here at NASCompares.com and we will get back to you.
Need Help? Where possible (and where appropriate) please provide as much information about your requirements, as then I can arrange the best answer and solution to your needs. Do not worry about your e-mail address being required, it will NOT be used in a mailing list and will NOT be used in any way other than to respond to your enquiry.