QNAP and AMD Ryzen take a MASSIVE step forward with the TS-1677X
Until about 6 months ago, the most powerful desktop NAS I had seen here at NASCompares was the QNAP TS-1685 and to be perfectly honest, we were cool with that. With new NAS servers released each year, I was right to think that it would hold the podium top spot for a good year or so at the very least. So you can imagine my surprise when a couple of days ago my opinions were once again undermined when QNAP released an improved and further powerful 16-Bay NAS server was uncovered and this one seemingly leaves the TS1685 in its dust! The newly uncovered QNAP TS-1677X NAS manages to include so many of the current ‘buzz words’ in enterprise and large-scale NAS in its specifications, that right now, unless they release an updated model 6 months from now with a jet engine glued to the back, it really REALLY is the most powerful desktop NAS of 2018 – and it isn;t actually even released yet.
The QNAP TS-1677X NAS External Hardware
This QNAP NAS used the chassis previously seen on the TS-1635 and TS-1685. In fact, looking at the front of the device, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. However, it is when you take a closer look at the insides and the rear that you see the big additions. First and foremost it should be highlighted that this device does not feature many of the home and SMB features of smaller units. Features like HDMI and the USB QuickAccess port are not on show here and this is clearly not accident/forgetfulness – they were notably absent in the 1685 and 1635.What we find are a combination of practical and sensible ports (with a couple of extras thrown in!). According to the above spec, on the rear of the QNAP TS-1677X NAS we find:
- PCIe Expansion slots (PCIe 3.0 x8, PCIe 2.0 x4, PCIe 3.0 x4) for adding further ports, USB card, m.2 SSD cache, wifi card and more
- Dual RJ45 based 10Gbe ports (10GBase-T)
- Eight USB 3.0 Ports (1 on the front with USB-Copy and 7 on the rear with one as USB-C)
- Four 1Gbe LAN
- Audio In/Out
- Rear Speaker
- Three Cooling Fans
- A 550W PSU that not only powers the NAS, but also has additional power for eGPU cards that are installed inside for VM use (8pin and 6pin)
- The front of the device features an LCD panel for real-time storage, network and access information
- LED lights for every drive
- 12 HDD Bays, multiple internal M.2 slot and 4 SSD bays so you can use the QTier application to further bolster and speed up your storage access
The QNAP TS-1677X NAS Internal Hardware
As mentioned, it is when you look inside the QNAP TS-1677X NAS that you really see what makes this breathtakingly powerful. The device will be available in several configurations. There are three different versions of the CPU that will be available, as well as different memory options to accompany it. Below are the ones that are confirmed so far:
QNAP TS-1677X-1200-4G NAS
QNAP TS-1677X-1600-8G NAS
QNAP TS-1677X-1700-16G NAS
QNAP TS-1677X-1700-64G NAS
When will the QNAP TS-1677X NAS be Available to Buy?
We are still awaiting confirmation on the release schedule of this unit, but stay tuned to find more information on a release date, further specs and more here at NASCompares. Also, check out the QNAP Livestream on this HERE.