Hardware Update on the Synology DS619slim NAS for Synology 2019
As previously discussed, Synology NAS is a brand that has always been a brand that is rather secretive about their releases, as they like to give their older technology a fair run and not spook the NAS market too much with releases way, way in the future. That said, in order to stay ahead of current hardware trends, they will generally release a new version to their NAS server devices around a year or two apart. Today I want to give you more information on the Synology DS619slim, a NAS that we uncovered a few weeks ago (video below). With a much, much more information now made available the Synology Exhibition event yesterday in Taipei, we now know more about the internal and external hardware specifications of this compact and SSD focused NAS. So, why is the DS619slim such a big leap from the DS416slim releases 2 years ago?
What are the Hardware Specification of the Synology DS619slim NAS
Since we first heard about the Synology DS619slim, we were thinking that it would be very similar indeed to the ARM and low memory specifications of the older DS416slim – Boy were we WRONG! Synology have definitely upped their game on this particular unit and a couple of internal features about this device really propel it into the big leagues sharing the mid-top tier with the likes of the DS218+ and DS418play. Below I have detailed the latest information on the specifications that are now available and this could potentially be my favourite Synology NAS of 2018.
Intel J3455 Quad Core CPU
1.5Ghz, burst to 2.3Ghz per core
4GB of memory, up to a maximum of 8GB
Familiar Synology Chassis design, but in a much smaller frame size and much better than the DS416slim
Supporting the latest 2.5″ hard drives and SATA based 2.5″ SSD (up to a height of 9mm)
Six Screw-less and Hot-Swappable Bays that can also be locked
Rear mounted automatic/manual cooling fan and ventilation throughout the device
2x LAN ports (RJ45)
2x USB Ports
4K Playback and Transcoding Support
What are the software specifications of the DS619slim Synology NAS
The software limits and abilities of the DS619slim from Synology can mostly be gauged from the hardware. As this is a 2019 Series Synology, it will arrive with Diskstation Manager (DSM) 6.2, the Synology user interface and operating system. This features a wide variety of first and third-party applications and support. Below is the software available via this hardware
- The DS619slim supports popular Synology apps such as Synology Drive, Moments, Chat, Mail, Calendar, Photo station, Music station, Video Station, File station, Active Backup and Office
- With the CCTV and Security focus ‘Surveillance Station’ application, the DS619slim supports up to 25x cameras at once and arrives with 2 camera licences to get you started
- The is a good number of third-party applications such as Plex Media Server and Emby available in the app center
- Several RAID configurations for your drive media, as well as the Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) that lets you mix drive types, size, speed and brand
- The internal file system is BTRFS or EXT 4 as you need
- The DS619slim can act as a centralized backup for all of your devices over the network or internal, or even as a network/internet backup to another NAS via the internal software
- Via Cloud synchronization, the DS619slim can back up too/from popular third-party cloud platforms such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3 and more
- Mobile applications on iOS and Android to access your DS619slim such as DS File, DS Music, DS Photo, DS Video, Moments, Drive and many more, all free
When will the Synology DS619slim NAS be released
As the DS619slim from Synology has only just been announced, it is still way too early to state a release date. However, given the fact it is a 2019 Series device, I think we will see this device released in Q3 (September/October) in line with several other Synology NAS releases at this time. Where this device will sit in the food chain with the recently uncovered DS619slim and DS2419+ is yet to see, but do remember to stay tuned to NASComapres to stay up to date with all things NAS!
Check Availability and the Release of the Synology DS619slim NAS here –
Need Advice on Data Storage from an Expert?We want to keep the free advice on NASCompares FREE for as long as we can. Since this service started back in Jan '18, We have helped hundreds of users every month solve their storage woes, but we can only continue to do this with your support. So please do choose to buy at SPAN, use links to Amazon on the articles when buying to provide advert revenue support or to donate/support the site below. Finally, for free advice about your setup, just leave a message in the comments below here at NASCompares.com and we will get back to you.
Need Help? Where possible (and where appropriate) please provide as much information about your requirements, as then I can arrange the best answer and solution to your needs. Do not worry about your e-mail address being required, it will NOT be used in a mailing list and will NOT be used in any way other than to respond to your enquiry.