Official Information on the Synology DS1819+ 8-Bay NAS
Synology DS1819+ is an 8-bay NAS designed for small and medium-sized businesses, providing outstanding performance with great expandability. With various built-in applications and comprehensive data protection technologies, DS1819+ fulfills different business needs while safeguarding users’ valuable digital assets. DS1819+ is backed up by Synology’s 3-year limited warranty. DS1819+ is an 8-bay desktop network attached storage built with great scalability and performance, ideally suitable for growing businesses. You can easily scale it up to 18 drives with two expansion unit DX517 when needing more storage capacity. In addition, M.2 SSD adapter M2D18 is available for you to supercharge the random IOPS through SSD cache, while an optional 10Gb Ethernet adapter escalates data transmission bandwidth to meet intensive workload demands.
Synology DS1819+ NAS CPU and Memory
The Synology DS1819+ NAS is equipped with one quad-core processor and 4 GB memory (upgradable to 32 GB), delivering sequential throughput at over 2,045 MB/s reading and 656 MB/s writing under aggregated 10Gb Ethernet environment. The built-in four Gigabit LAN ports support failover and Link Aggregation. DS1819+ can also be deployed with your existing virtualization environments with its dynamic virtual machine certificates.
Synology DS1819+ NAS and BTRFS
DS1819+ introduces the Btrfs file system, bringing the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern businesses:
- Advanced snapshot technology with customizable backup schedule allows shared folders to be backed up in a minimum 5-minute interval, without consuming heavy system resources.
- File and folder level data restoration brings huge conveniences and saves time for users who wish to restore only a specific file or folder.
- Flexible Shared Folder and User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders.
- File self-healing: Btrfs file system is able to auto-detect corrupted files with mirrored metadata, and recover broken data using the supported RAID volumes, including RAID1, 5, 6, and 10.
- Advanced LUN offered by the cutting-edge iSCSI service built for administrators provides lightning-fast snapshot creation, recovery and cloning.
Synology DS1819+ NAS Backup Options for All Scenarios
DS1819+ Synology NAS integrates various backup applications to safeguard your important data on any device with an intuitive user interface and durable storage technologies.
- Desktop backup: Cloud Station Backup safeguards your PC, Mac, and other desktop devices. DS1819+ is also compatible with Time Machine, allowing you to effortlessly backup your Mac to Synology NAS.
- NAS backup: Hyper Backup comprehensively backs up your data to a local shared folder, an external device, another Synology NAS, an rsync server, or a public cloud service to ensure data safety.
- Server backup: Active Backup for Server provides an agentless backup solution, centralizing the data from Windows and Linux servers through SMB and rsync to effectively minimize deployment and management costs.
- SaaS backup: Active Backup for Office 365/G Suite is an on-premise backup solution for public clouds with a centralized dashboard, optimizing storage efficiency through the single instancing and block-level deduplication technology.
Synology DS1819+ NAS and User Collaboration
Use the collaboration suite on your Synology NAS to build a private cloud to enhance team cooperation and boost productivity.
- Synology Drive allows you to access the data and files on Synology NAS through a unified portal and supports cross-platform synchronization to allow anywhere data access. You can also install the online editor Synology Office and collaborate with others
on Document, Spreadsheet, and Slides.
- Synology MailPlus allows your business to set up a private and reliable mail server with the support of high-availability design and gives your employees an intuitive web-based client to manage emails and boost productivity.
- Synology Calendar enables you to manage team schedules and organize daily tasks effortlessly. Event information can also be synced to your CalDAV clients, allowing you to check schedules anywhere and anytime.
- Synology Chat is a web-based application that allows you to start conversations instantly and safely and optimizes companies’ internal communications with its powerful information management and interaction features.
Synology DS1819+ NAS and Virtualization
Synology’s Virtual Machine Manager adds boundless capabilities to your NAS. Set up and run various virtual machines including Windows, Linux, and Virtual DSM on your NAS to test new software versions in a sandbox environment, isolate your customers’ machines, and increase the flexibility of your DS1819+ with reduced hardware deployment and maintenance costs. Synology iSCSI storage fully supports most virtualization solutions to enhance work efficiency with a simple management interface. VMware vSphere™ 6.5 and VAAI integration helps to offload storage operations and optimizes computation efficiency. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) speeds up data transfer and migration rates, while the support for OpenStack Cinder transforms your Synology NAS into a block-based storage component.
Synology DS1819+ NAS and Synology Virtual Machine Manager
DS1819+ is designed with virtualization in mind. Virtual Machine Manager enables you to test new software in sandboxes, isolate your customers’ machines, and increase the flexibility of your server. Virtual DSM provides an equally intuitive experience as DiskStation Manager, offering a reliable storage solution with robust features. Various Operating Systems Supported for running Windows, Linux, and Virtual DSM on your Synology NAS in just a few steps. Snapshots for Virtual Machines is a snapshot technology provided by Virtual Machine Manager, allowing you to perfectly clone and restore a virtual machine within seconds. Live Migration lets you seamlessly migrate Virtual DSM instances from one Synology box to another. Flexible IT Resource Management enables you to allocate hardware resources such as computing power, storage space, or network interfaces across several virtual machines. Multi-tenant Environments allow you to create multiple isolated virtual machines for subsidiary business units or departments. Finally, Synology iSCSI Storage fully supports most virtualization solutions to enhance work efficiency with a simple management interface.
Synology DS1819+ NAS and DiskStation Manager (DSM)
Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) is a web-based operating system tailor-made for every Synology NAS. Featuring an intuitive multitasking user interface, DSM provides simple desktop-like experience to minimize the efforts in exploring and managing your Synology NAS. The built-in Package Center allows you to download and install a variety of packages designed specifically for your unique needs, including file backup, virtualization, productivity, safeguard security and utilities. With all the built-in and add-on features, DSM provides you with complete and fine-grained control of your DS1819+, maximizing your productivity and make the best out of your digital assets. All can be done with just a few clicks.
Full Hardware and Software Specifications of the Synology DS1819+ NAS
The hardware and software specs of the Synology DS1819+ NAS are a mixture of familiar and new options:
- CPU – Intel Atom C3538 quad-core 2.1GHz
- Hardware encryption engine – Yes (AES-NI)
- Memory – 4 GB DDR4-2133 Non-ECC SO-DIMM
(expandable up to 32 GB wtih 16 GB ECC SO-DIMM x 2)
- Hot swappable drive – Yes
- External port – 4 x USB 3.0 port, 2 x eSATA port, 4 x Gigabit (RJ-45), PCIe 3.0 slot x 4-lane x8 slot
- Size (HxWxD) – 166 x 343 x 243 mm
- Weight – 6 kg
- Wake on LAN/WAN – Yes
- Drive – Provide a universal portal to synchronize your files across various platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. The built-in universal portal allows you to access data anytime and anywhere. Maximum Number of Hosted Files: 1,000,000,
- Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections for PC Clients: 550
- File Station – Virtual drives, remote folders, Windows ACL editor, compressing/extracting archived files, bandwidth control for specific users/groups, creating sharing links, transfer logs
- FTP Server – Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocol, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs
- Presto File Server – High-speed data transfer over WAN with exclusive SITA technology between Synology NAS and desktop
- Cloud Sync – One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Alibaba Cloud OSS, Amazon Drive, Amazon
- S3-compatible storage, Backblaze B2, Baidu Cloud, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, MegaDisk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack – Swift-compatible storage, Tencent COS, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk
- Universal Search – Offer global search into applications and files
- Moments – Support smart AI album with facial and subject recognition, photo editing and sharing features, and iOS and Android mobile applications. Other packages Video Station, Photo Station, Audio Station, iTunes® Server
- Storage Analyzer – Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, large files, most recently modified files, least recently accessed files
- Antivirus Essential – Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update
- iOS/Android™ applications – Synology Drive, DS audio, DS photo, DS video, DS cam, DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS note, Moments, MailPlus
- Other packages – Additional 3rd-party packages available on Package Center
- Active Directory Server – Provide a flexible and cost-effective domain controller solution
- CMS – Provide a single interface to manage and monitor multiple Synology NAS
- VPN Server – Maximum connection: 30, supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN™, L2TP/IPSec
- Mail Server – Supported Mail Server protocol: POP3, SMTP, IMAP, support LDAP/AD account
- Mail Station – Webmail interface for Mail Server to receive emails from multiple POP3 mailboxes, customizable SMTP server
- Web Station – Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB®, 3rd-party applications support
- Other packages DNS Server, RADIUS Server, Log Center
- Surveillance Station – Maximum IP camera: 40 (total of 1200 FPS at 720p, H.264) (including two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)
When will the Synology DS1819+ NAS be Released?
This is a tricky one, as normally the new units that are uncovered at Autumn Synology launch events are not released until late in Q4 or at the top of Q1 of the following year. However, there is enough interest and demand for the DS1819+ Diskstation NAS right now that I think we might see this land in late November or even early December. Of course, this is based on hearsay and educated guesses, but at the latest, this will be available to buy at the start of 2019. Subscribe or bookmark this page to stay in the loop!
How much will the Synology DS1819+ NAS cost?