Compatible PS5 SSD Heatsinks – Stay Cool!
UPDATE – The PS5 FULL/PUBLIC Software Update to enable SSD Upgrades on the PS5 Goes Live Globally on September 15th 2021
So, now that PS5 is in the process of enabling PS5 Storage Expansion slot for M.2 NVMe SSDs, many users who have got early access to the beta software update are wondering about heatsinks. For those that do not know, the super-fast type of storage that is used in the Playstation 5 storage upgrade slot is M.2 NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 4×4). This type of SSD might be very fast, however, it also gets quite HOT! These SSD are traditionally purchased in bare PCB covered sticks (similar to memory or RAM) that has all of the cells (known as NAND) where all your data lives (as well as other chips for the controller, memory, etc). SSDs have no moving parts but electricity is passed through them to read the data directly from the cells and NAND exceptionally rapidly. This means that the M.2 NVMes can rise in temperature quite rapidly when in access and when they get too hot, they will drop in performance significantly. Alongside this the lifespan of an SSD may likely decrease as its operational temperature is consistently high. This is what Heatsinks are for – they draw the heat from the SSD into a solid chunk of ridged metal that allows the heat to be dissipated in the surrounding air. Sony clearly made provisions for this by allowing a bulk of space around the SSD area of the PS5 to install a heatsink. But what is the best kind of SSD heatsink for the PS5, are there ones to avoid, how big can you go, and which one should you buy? Let’s find out.
Find my FULL PS5 SSD Storage Upgrade Guide HERE , Or I have listed the Best M.2 NVMe SSDs for your PS5 Storage upgrade Below:
|Here are the Recommended M.2 NVMe SSDs to Upgrade Your PS5 When the Software Update comes out of Beta
FASTEST – Seagate Firecuda 530 – Find it Here
2ND FASTEST – Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus – Find it Here
MOST AVAILABLE – Samsung 980 PRO – Find it Here
BEST PRICE – WD Black SN850 (Confirmed) – Find it Here
AORUS Gen4 7000s SSD – Find It Here
Inland Performance Plus 1TB SSD – Not Available
MSI SPATIUM M480 – Find it Here
Corsair MP600 NVMe SSD (TBC) – Find it Here
PS5 SSD Heatsinks – The Do’s and Don’ts
Most M.2 NVMe SSD that you might look at for your PS5 will NOT arrive with a heatsink. Some brands do include optional heatsinks for $20-40, but there will likely be PC-Grade gamer heatsinks and much, much too tall for the allocated PS5 Expansion storage slot for upgrades. Sony provided a handy upgrade guide for how big the NVMe SSD needs to be, alongside details of the type that is recommended. See below:
Now, there are ALOT of M.2 NVMe SSD Heatsinks on the market – THOUSANDS! So it is important to know which ones are compatible and which ones you should completely avoid. Heatsink AND SSD together should NOT exceed in millimeters 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H) and in inches 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H). Another big thing to remember is that some SSD heatsinks use rubber bands to hold the M.2 NVMe SSD and the HEATSINK together. I would strongly recommend avoiding these kinds of heatsinks as they have a tendency not to last vast amounts of time and the silicon rubber bands (if produced poorly) can wear away. I strongly recommend a met surrounding heatsink case/enclosure like the one below, as it has 2 layers of internal thermal padding, the metal surrounding the whole SSD (assisting heat dissipation) and is screwed in place.
Last point. The majority of NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4×4 SSDs right now are going to be 2280 (that is the length of the SSD), as this tier of SSD have only JUST been released in the last 6-9 months. However, they WILL get longer (to accommodate more storage cells and bigger capacity) so the fact the PS5 supports up to 22110 lengths SSDs is quite handy. If you are reading this guide much later in 2021/2022, then DO CHECK that the SSD you are installing in your PS5 is 2280 or 22110, as the heatsink will also need to be this length too (as the screw holds an SSD Board mount need to match). This is much, MUCH less of a concern in 2021 however, so you can ignore this right now.
So, there you have it, those are the do’s and don’ts for buying a heatsink for your PS5 SSD upgrade. Below are 5 great examples of M.2 NVMe SSD Heatsinks that will fit in your PS5 Expansion slot. They vary in price, design, height, colour and density. Take a look:
UPDATED – The Recommended Ones Below Keep Selling out, so I have added more!
Sabrent PS5 SSD Designed Heatsink – $19.99
- DESIGNED FOR PS5: Engineered to fit perfectly and easily into the PS5 SSD expansion slot. The installation has never been easier on the PS5
- REVOLUTIONARY COOLING: Made from High-Quality CNC’d aluminium, the Sabrent PS5 Heatsink was specifically designed to maximize cooling performance and simplify the installation
- UPGRADE YOUR PS5! Rather than creating a heatsink that would only trap the heat in the metal cover, we designed a heatsink that replaces the native PS5 cover. This allows for better cooling using the native fan as well as being a larger heatsink
- INDUSTRIAL QUALITY: This SSD heatsink method also uses Sabrent’s “Sandwich Design” which ensures even pressure throughout the SSD for efficient and consistent heat transfer unlike methods used by other brands
- CONVENIENCE: Comes with an installation guide as well as screws and thermal tape for easy convenient installation
ElecGear PS5 SSD Designed Heatsink – $34.99
- [PS5 NVMe Heatsink] – The patent-pending cooler is exclusively designed for PlayStation 5 internal NVMe SSD. It features a heat pipe and a huge solid aluminum heatsink. The high performance comes from the numerous cooling fins and the delicate utilization of air circulation sucked by PS5 main cooling fan. The streamlined profile is a snag fit with the middle frame of PS5 chassis. The heatsink is the ultimate cooling solution to the heat management of extreme Gen4 gaming SSD
- [Heat Pipe and Thermal Pads] – A 5mm heatpipe seamlessly embedded in the lower aluminum deck. The passive design with no cooling fan is aiming for being totally silent. The heat produced by SSD will be absorbed by the heat pipe and effectively conducted to the extensive aluminum fins. Two pieces pre-divided thermal pads are included for excellent heat connection. 0.8mm and 1.5mm thickness option adapts to any PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- [Improved Mounting Post] – It seems the leading maker Sony does not belong to M.2 SSD industry. We don’t think that the stock screws mount M.2 SSD appropriately in the memory compartment. ElecGear did it better with a re-designed fixing structure for your gaming SSD. The modified guide post, standard M.2 screw and even a copper washer to adjust the height of SSD are included in the box
- [Compatibility Note] – The cooler fits both PS5 Ultra HD and Digital editions. In terms of hardware, it’s compatible with any standard NVMe M.2 solid state drive. Fully tested with WD Black SN850, Samsung 980 Pro and Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0. It supports 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 form factor and also works with 22110 in the future. Please be noticed: The SSD maker’s thin heatsink should be removed before installing, for example, Corsair-Force MP600 and ADATA XPG
PNY XLR8 Gaming PS5 SSD Designed Heatsink – $24.99
PNY XLR8 PS5 SSD Heatsink is designed for PS5, integrating the original PS5 SSD cover, PNY offers a brilliant design, combined the cover with heatsink which provides extreme cooling performance, taking your extra upgraded PS5 NVMe SSD to the extreme. Not only can you destroy the competition, and play more games, but your system can look good while doing so.
- Part No : M22110PSVHS-XR-RB
- Design to integrate PS5 SSD cover & heatsink
- Greatly improves cooling efficiency
- Included spare screws x1 + Thermal pads
- Compare to no heatsink, cools downs the SSD over 40%*
- Recommended SSD: XLR8 CS3140 Gen 4×4
INEO / GRAUGEAR PS5 SSD Designed Heatsink G-PS5HS01 – $34.99
The new GRAUGEAR/INEO heat pipe cooler G-PS5HS01 reduces the temperature of your M.2 NVMe SSDs in the PlayStation®5 by up to 50% and thus contributes to a longer lifetime of your SSDs. The performance of your M.2 NVMe SSDs is also positively influenced by the GRAUGEAR/INEO heat pipe cooler G-PS5HS01. The Ø7mm copper heat pipe and the copper fins and aluminium heat sink ensure maximum performance.
- Heat Pipe from Copper maximum performance
- The reduced temperature of M.2 NVMe SSD up to 50%
- Designed for PlayStation®5
- Compatible with Single/Double-sided M.2 2280 SSDs
- 1 x G-PS5HS01, 4 x Thermal Pads
- 1 x Screwdriver1 x SSD mounting screw
- 1x Screws, 1 x Manual, 1 x Warranty card
QIVYNSRY M.2 heatsink 2280 SSD Double-Sided Heat Sink
- Designed for desktop computers, but works with PS5
- Aluminum body, Anodic Oxidation Surface Treatment;
- with 10°C – 30°C cooling effect;
- Compatible with Singel/Double sided M.2 NVME NGFF SSD;
- Easy to install, and not damage the hard disk.
- 1* EZ NVMe Heatsink-Silver
- 2* Thermal pads
- 5* Screws.
- 1* Installation guide.
SUPER BUDGET OPTION – Akuoly M.2 SSD Heatsink 4 Pack Aluminum Heatsink Cooler Cooling
- To Save Your Device from Fail Prematurely–Reduce the risk of hardware failure due to overheating. The gap of these Akuoly heatsinks between the larger fins increases the area of the board and thus provides for greater heat transfer
- Made of High Quality Aluminum–Made of high quality aluminum, great thermal conductivity. An aluminum heatsink is a passive heat exchanger that efficiently transfers heat through electronic signal or mechanical signal with device, thus keeping a regulation of the temperature of the device at an optimal level
- Suitable for Various Devices–Suitable for heating elements on Wi-Fi routers, M.2 SSD, AC adapters, chargers, high power amplifier transistor semiconductor devices and so on
- Cheerful 4 Pack Heatsink & Thermal Pads– 4 pieces x aluminum heatsink Cooling Fin (each 70mm x 22mm x 6mm), large surface area and great fins; with 4 pieces of double-sided thermal tape whose thermal conductivity: about 1.3 W / (m·K).
- Material: Aluminum
- Size: 70mm (L) x 22mm (W) x 6mm (H)
- Package: 4 Pack x Aluminum Heatsink Cooling Fins
- 4 Pieces Double-sides Thermal Tape whose thermal conductivity: about 1.3 W / (m·K).
SGTKJSJS M.2 Heatsink SSD Cooler for PCIE NVME
Excellent little kit. Comes with: A screwdriver, a cleaning and drying towelette(not needed if the m.2 is new and/or not dusty) and it has two dark blue(.5mm) for the bottom(U bracket) and two light blue(1mm) for the top(heatsink) for 2 m.2 drives. There is a protective film on BOTH sides of each of the thermal tape pieces. Remove BOTH piece of film of EACH of the thermal tape pieces and apply them. Once the thermal tape is on both sides(1 blue-bottom, 1 light blue-heatsink) place the bottom of your m.2 drive into the U bracket/bottom of the thermal unit. Next make sure that the top piece(heatsink) has the open spot for the screw for your motherboard facing the back to leave space to attach . Next line up the holes and gently drop the top heatsink in to the U bracket/bottom.
- M.2 SSD heatSink X2
Silicone thermal pad X4
Fixing screw X8
EZDIY-FAB M.2 2280 SSD heatsink
Double-Sided Heat Sink, High-Performance SSD Cooler for PCIE NVME M.2 SSD or SATA M.2 SSD- Red or Black – $15
- Designed for desktop computers, but works inside PS5
- Aluminum material for best heat dissipation and maximum performance.
- Compatible with Singel/Double sided M.2 2280 SSDs.
- Easy to install.
- Beautiful metal surface treatment, installed in the chassis to form a beautiful landscape.
- 1* EZ NVMe Heatsink-Silver
- 2* Thermal pads
- 5* Screws.
- 1* Installation guide.
MHQJRH M.2 2280 SSD heatsink – SINGLE SIDE SSD USE ONLY – VERY TIGHT FIT!!
Double-Sided Heat Sink, Matching Thermal Silicone pad for PCIE NVME M.2 SSD or SATA M.2 SSD – $9.99
- Designed for Compact M.2 NVMe SSD Installation
- Aluminum body, Anodic Oxidation Surface Treatment.
- Aluminum alloy-Groove design, greatly increase the heat dissipation area, with 10°C – 30°C cooling effect.
- Compatible with Singel/Double-sided M.2 2280 SSDs.
- Easy to install, and not damage the SSD
- Advancing Gene thermal pad is made from Nano Silicon Grease Material, with good thermal conductivity ability. Soft enough and good ductility, compatible with uneven surfaces of the M.2 SSD. Low viscosity, with no damage to the SSD label.
- M.2 SSD heatSink X1
- Silicone thermal pad X3
- Fixing screw X6
- Screwdriver X1
Ice Cold Ineo M.2 heatsink 2280 SSD
Thermal Silicone pad for M.2 PCIE NVMe SSD – $10.99
- The NVMe heatsink are able to support the NVMe SSD type 70x20mm
- Please place the silicone cooling pad between the heatsink and the SSD to prevent damage to the SSD and protect the particles of the SSD, which can effectively extend the life of your SSD.
- Package including: 1 NVMe Aluminum heatsink, 2 silicone thermal pad, 1 user manual, 1 screw driver , 1 guarantee card, 1 screw
- Each product has strict tested before We sent it to you and offer 1 Year Limited Warranty, Life-time free technical support by ineo.
- 1 NVMe Aluminum heatsink
- 2 silicone thermal pad
- 1 user manual
- 1 screw driver
- 1 1 screw
WARSHIP Pro M.2 2280 SSD Heatsink
PCIE NVME or SATA m2 2280 SSD Double-Sided Heat Sink – Black – $8.99
- Suports PCIE NVME M.2 2280 size SSD or SATA M2 2280 size SSD
- Aluminium alloy, silver plating , anodic oxidation surface treatment
- Easy to install, NO damage to the SSD.
- Aluminum alloy-Groove design with 10°C – 30°C cooling effect
- HeatSink X2
- Big Silicone thermal pad X 2
- Small Silicone thermal pad X 10
- Screws X 6
- Screwdriver X1
Best Budget Choice – Nankui SSD Heatsink Surround – SINGLE SIDE SSD USE ONLY – VERY TIGHT FIT!!
NVMe Heatsink for m.2 2280 SSD,Double-Sided Cooling – $5.99
- Originally designed for desktop computers, This M.2 SSD heatsink compatible with all single sided Type.
- Simple Lock design, easy to install
- Double Aluminum alloy-Groove design, greatly increase the heat dissipation area, with 7°C – 30°C cooling effect (Varies depending on the environments), Ensure the high-speed and long-lasting performance of SSD, continuous high-speed reading and writing and long-term game performance are still strong
- Main body material: Aluminum alloy, anodic oxidation surface treatment. Dimensions: 76.5*24.*12mm , Nano Silicon Grease Material Dimensions：70*20*T.4 ，Thermal conductivity：3W/m-k
- M.2 SSD heatSink X1
- Silicone thermal pad X3
- No Screws – Clicks Shut
All PS5 Compatible SSDs in 2021/2022 – UPDATED
Although Sony enabled the Playstation 5 SSD expansion slot in Summer 2021, they have yet to issue a FULL compatibility list of ALL drives that can be used. I have been testing a huge number of M.2 NVMe SSDs with PS5 in the last 3 months in order to create a master list of all the drives that work (here on the blog, as well as over on YouTube in my PS5 SSD Test Series HERE). Below is a breakdown of all the currently available and supported SSDs that are compatible with PS5 (with help on Reddit, Twitter and others).
BLUE = COMPATIBLE
GREY = UNCONFIRMED
PS5 COMPATIBLE UPGRADE SSDs SEPT 2021
|SSD||Meets Requirements to Work||Notes (Important)||Price & Links|
|Seagate FireCuda 530||Yes confirmed by Seagate.||Included heatsink works||500GB – $149.99, 1TB – $239.99, 2TB – $489.99, 4TB – $949.99.|
|Western Digital SN850||Yes confirmed by Western Digital.||Included heatsink works||500GB – $169.99, 1TB – $249.99, 2TB – $549.99|
|Gigabyte 7000s Gen4||Yes confirmed by Gigabyte.||Included heatsink works||1TB – $199.99, 2TB – $399.99|
|Patriot Viper VP4300||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Included heatsink works||1TB – $224.99, 2TB – I don’t know if this ever released?|
|Samsung 980 Pro||Yes. Confirmed by fragilityv2.||Needs a heatsink||250GB – $69.99, 500GB – $119.99, 1TB – $199.99, 2TB – $429.99|
|Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus||Yes. Confirmed by The Verge.||Needs a different heatsink than the one included||1TB – $200, 2TB – $469.99, 4TB – $999.99|
|Corsair MP600 Pro||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Needs a different heatsink than the one included||1TB – $199.99, 2TB – $399.99|
|Inland Performance Plus||Yes (unconfirmed)||Needs a different heatsink than the one included||1TB – $189.99, 2TB – $399.99|
|Adata Gammix S70||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Needs a different heatsink than the one included. Very difficult to remove.||1TB – $149.99, 2TB – $299.99|
|MSI Spatium M480||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Needs a heatsink||Not listed yet. More Info here.|
|Micron 3400||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Needs a heatsink||Not listed yet.More Info here.|
|PNY CS3040||Yes. Confirmed by /u/EmergencyPomelo5180 and PNY.||Included heatsink is too tall. Get version without heatsink and add your own. Also, the rated read speeds are just above the minimum specified at 5,600 MB/s reads||500GB – $89.99, 1TB – $156.99, 2TB – $308.99, 4TB – $699.99|
|PNY CS3140||Yes. Confirmed by PNY.||Included heatsink is too tall. Get version without heatsink and add your own||1TB – $199.99, 2TB – $449.99|
|TeamGroup T-Force Cardea A440||Yes (unconfirmed)||Aluminum heatsink is too tall, graphene heatsink may need replaced.||1TB – $179.99, 2TB – $399.99|
|Plextor M10P(G)||Yes (unconfirmed)||Included heatsink is too tall||Not listed yet. Product page here.|
|Titanium Micro TH7175||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Needs a heatsink||1TB – $279.99, 2TB – $489.99|
|Mushkin Enhanced Gamma||Yes (unconfirmed)||Needs a heatsink||1TB – $216.99, 2TB – $499.99|
|GALAX HOF Extreme||Yes (unconfirmed)||Included heatsink is too large||Pricing unknown, information here.|
|Addlink A95||Yes confirmed by NASCompares||Heatsink Included||1TB – $218.99, 2TB – $448.88|
Articles Get Updated Regularly - Get an alert every time something gets added to this page!
This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today's content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
SEARCH IN THE BOX BELOW FOR NAS DEALS