High res audio – Can NAS take 24 bit/96 kHz audio and convert it or transcode it to 16 bit/44.1 kHz for Sonos
I’m still new to NAS and understand a bit about video transcoding. Is a NAS able to take a music file that is a 24 bit/96 kHz and convert it or transcode it to 16 bit/44.1 kHz so a Sonos one could play the file?
Yes, Sonos is a DLNA network based speaker. Synology NAS model like DS218+ will transcode the audio into a compatible format if receiving device is unable to play the file.
Here is how you enable it:
Music transcoders allow Audio Station to support more audio formats under streaming. If your web browsers or DLNA devices do not support the audio formats mentioned below, please find the transcoding advice. Also, please note audio files transcoded by Audio Station can only be 16 bit; 24-bit files would be downsampled.
To transcode audio formats for web browsers:
Follow the steps below if your web browsers do not support the formats: FLAC, APE, AAC, OGG, AIFF, WMA.
- Go to Settings > Options > Transcoder for Web Browsers.
- Choose any of the following options:
- Transcode to WAV format: WAV format is supported on specific browsers only (Firefox 3.6 and above, Safari 5, Opera 10.60, and Chrome 9).
- Transcode to MP3 format: By transcoding to MP3, you can enjoy better browser support. However, this also occupies more system resources. In addition to the formats listed above, WAV format will also be transcoded to MP3 when this option is selected.
- Click OK.
To transcode audio formats for DLNA devices:
Follow the steps below if your DLNA devices do not support the formats: FLAC/APE, ALAC/AAC, OGG, AIFF.
- Go to Settings > Advanced.
- Tick Enable audio transcoding for DLNA devices to play transcoded music on your DLNA device.
- Select the formats (FLAC/APE, ALAC/AAC, OGG, and AIFF) unsupported by your DLNA device to render them playable.
- For better compatibility between your DLNA device and the selected formats, tick Downsample audio files for better DLNA compatibility.
- Click OK.
- The settings will be globally applied to all users and DLNA devices.
- Transcoding into MP3 is not supported on the following models: DS110j, DS210j, DS410j, DS211j, DS411j, and DS212j.