NAS for home.
After watching some of your youtube videos it was clear to me that I want a TS-228A due to this one being in my budget and cheaper than a comparable Synology model like a DS218+.
So after all the nonsense above, here is why I am writing to you in a brief bullet-point list:
– Needed for sharing pictures and videos at home AND by the internet (the latter without having to DynDNS)
– Transcoding would be nice
– Surveillance would be a good option to come back to in a year or two
– Even though I am an Android user and hate Apple’s restrictions, on this topic I kinda liked the idea of not having
– Which one got the better Android apps?
– Which one is easier to access without installing an app and creating a new user (sharing a picture or folder without needing to create a user for it)
You are looking in the right direction. Qnap 28A series come with Realtek processor capable of transcoding your videos when you are on the move. You can also easily share your pictures and videos without the need to create a user every time. You can just share a folder or pictures for a certain time if you want. Then simply share an automatic link with your friends.
This NAS will also be capable of recording video surveillance footage with no problems. There will be many Android apps available on Google Play store free of charge. One of them will be Surveillance app for remote access. Popular camera choice between users is Amcrest and Reolink.
Find regulary updated NAS offers here
Of course I would prefer you choose SPAN.COM to buy your perfect solution, however, if you would rather buy locally, please use the links used above to take you to your local Amazon store and help support this free advice service with ad revenue. More ways of supporting the blog are described HERE