Is the new QNAP 1-Bay TS-128 NAS worth your money?
What the TS-128A can do (PROS):
What the TS-128A cannot do (CONS):
With the popularity of RAID, it is understandable to think that a 1-Bay NAS is a bit risky. However with the popularity of both free and budget cloud services being available, as well as USB 3.0 external hard drives dropping in price, there are several ways in which to backup your data (even just a handful of the most important gigabytes that cannot be replaced) and not be left empty-handed in the event of hardware failure. QNAP and the TS-128A represent a growing trend from both them and the other big NAS brand, Synology, with much more powerful and fully featured 1-Bay NAS devices. But do they carry it off? is the TS-128A NAS a sound investment and ultimately, does the QNAP TS-128A deserve your data?
Lightweight and powerful entry-level NAS for private cloud and home entertainment. Equipped with a Realtek RTD1295 quad-core processor, the TS-128A provides home users with powerful features including snapshot-based backup, file synchronization, and private cloud services.
The TS-128A is also a one-stop home entertainment portal for streaming photos, music, and videos to multiple devices throughout your home and beyond. With energy-saving and quiet operation, the TS-128A is especially suited for home users and provides easy-to-use and convenient functionality for file storage and multimedia needs.
A number of QNAP’s popular home and business productivity apps are available with the TS-128A once you boot the device up and install QTS 4.3.4, such as:
- Qsync – an easy-to-use real-time file sync service for computers and mobile devices. With Qsync, your data can be shared across multiple locations, making file sharing even easier
- Snapshots – QNAP has extended support for file snapshot protection to our entry-level NAS. Snapshots were originally only possible on high-end business systems, and they allow you to record the system state and data content at a single point of time. With snapshot protection, if you accidentally delete/modify files, or if any hard disks should fail or your network is infected with malware, you can quickly restore files to a previous point in time.
- Hybrid Backup Sync – By practicing safe computer habits and with the TS-128A handling your file backup tasks, you can rest easy knowing that your data is safe. QNAP’s NetBak Replicator backup utility can assist in backing up/restoring files on a Windows® PC while macOS users can set up Time Machine to save to the TS-128A.
- Multimedia Apps – The three multimedia “stations” (Photo, Music, and Video) help you to effortlessly centralize, manage, organize, and browse your family’s multimedia files. Your multimedia collection can be streamed directly from the TS-128A to supported smart TVs, music players, and game consoles. The all-new QVHelper can help you stream and decode multimedia files to media players on your computer and/or mobile devices. The Qfinder Pro utility can also save time and NAS system resources by transcoding media files locally on your PC before uploading them to the NAS. With the TS-128A your audiovisual experience is smoother and more convenient with useful apps and everything you need to enjoy great multimedia entertainment.
- Download Station – Combining many popular downloading services and functions. With the power-efficient and quiet TS-128A, you can run downloading tasks for a long period of time without running up a large electricity bill. With the energy-efficient and quiet TS-128A, you no longer need to use different downloading utilities or to keep your computer running all the time. Use Download Station to search for downloads and to manage your download tasks.
|QNAP NAS||QNAP TS-128A NAS|
|CPU||Realtek RTD1295 quad-core
|System Memory||1 GB DDR4, not expandable|
|Flash Memory||4GB eMMC|
|Drive Bay||1 x 3.5 inch SATA 6Gbps|
|Drive Compatibility||3.5 inch SATA drives|
|Gigabit Ethernet Port||1 x RJ45|
|USB Port||Type A; 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (Front)
2 x USB 2.0 (Rear)
|LED Indicators||Network, disk, system status, one-touch copy|
|Buttons||Power, reset, USB one touch copy|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||7.36 x 2.36 x 4.92 inch
187.7 x 60 x 125 mm
|Weight||Net: 1.23 lbs (0.56 kg)
Gross: 3.84 lbs (1.74 kg)
|Operating Temperature & Relative Humidity||0 to 40˚C, 5 to 95%, non-condensing,
wet bulb temperature: 27˚C
|Power Supply Unit||External, 36 W, AC 100 to 240 V|
|Power Consumption (W)||HDD standby: 2.9 W
In operation: 7.06 W
(with 1 x 1TB disk installed)
|Sound Level||15.7 dB (A)|
|Fan||4 x 4 cm cooling blower for system|
The TS-128A NAS and the Realtek 64bit CPU
The TS-128A features a Realtek RTD1295 quad-core 1.4GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and a 1GbE network port to provide performance of up to 112 MB/s.
If you decide to encrypt your files with AES-256 encryption, the performance is still an impressive 112 MB/s – allowing you to ensure your privacy without sacrificing performance.
The TS-128A Chassis
Featuring a unique, tool-less design, setting up the TS-128A is so easy that it doesn’t even need a screwdriver!
The TS-128A NAS Drive Installation
The minimal and streamlined design of TS-128A makes it fit easily into your home.
Business and Home Media File Sharing on the TS-128A NAS
The TS-128A acts as a file exchange platform to simplify your file management across devices, and is compatible with a wide range of computers and devices (including Windows, macOS and more). For mobile devices, the Qsync suite can be installed for synchronizing and sharing files across PC, phones and tablets. As well as supporting more complex media than simple images, music and video, it now supports the popular 360-degree panorama recording format! By clicking the 360-degree panorama display button, your photos and videos will be displayed as 360-degree panorama media files.
Comprehensive yet cost-effective backups on the TS-128A
With the TS-128A, complicated backup settings are history. You can now use Hybrid Backup Sync as your single portal for backing up, restoring, and syncing files. Supporting local NAS, remote NAS and cloud storage as both origins and destinations, you can combine multiple backup tasks to provide optimal protection for your data. Other features include scheduling, versioning, data compression and multiple-layer encryption, so your files are kept safe and sound.
VERY low power consumption on the QNAP TS-128A NAS
The TS-128A requires only 7.06 W, providing powerful features without a high power bill. Other smart energy-saving modes help to minimize electricity usage, and with a quiet cooling fan both the noise and heat generated by the TS-128A is kept to a minimum.
HDD standby: 2.9 W
In operation: 7.06 W
(with 1 x 1TB disk installed)
Data and Access Security with AES 256bit Encryption and 2-Step Authentication
The TS-128A is loaded with comprehensive security features such as 2-step authentication, encrypted access, IP filtering/blocking and anti-virus. Also, you can use permissions for users and folders to block unwanted access from unauthorized users or apps.
The QNAP TS-128A NAS is Available to buy now:
Quad core RealTek RTD1295
ARM Cortex a53 CPU 1.4GHz
1GB DDR4 Memory
TS-128A 6×12.5×18.7 cm – 0.56Kg
TS-228A 9×12.5×18.7 cm – 0.7Kg
2 Year Warranty
USB 3.0 1 Touch Copy
USB 2.0 x2
📧 LET ME KNOW ABOUT NEW POSTS 🔔
Get an alert every time something gets added to this specific article!
This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today's content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below