Comparing the QNAP TS-453B NAS from 2015 and the TVS-473 Power NAS from 2016
What can both NAS server’s do? Before I get down to which of these units is better at what task, I think it is important to know the things that BOTH of these NAS devices can do. So, whether you decide that the April 2017 TS-453B 4-Bay NAS or the older Q3 2016 release, the QNAP TVS-473 NAS, you will definitely be able to:
- Host a Virtualisation or Container Platform – setup and run multiple VMs, supporting multiple Operating systems and enhanced by the Docker app, Container Station
- Both QNAP NAS have dual HDMI ports for direct media access for your HDMI enabled 1080p and 4K TV
- The QNAP TS-453B can be upgraded to 8GB of DDR3 and the TVS-473 can reach upto 64GB of DDR4 Memory
- Full access to your media from mobile devices, PC, Laptop and console devices
- Serve as a cross platform service – bridging connections and transfers of files between Mac and Windows systems over the network
- Heavily support background data checks and comprehensive snapshot technology meaning you will have an equal amount of backup options whichever you go for. As well as migration, connection and interaction with existing cloud services like dropbox, Google Drive ElephantDrive
- Create a comprehensive Surveillance solutions, supporting multiple IP cameras and even arriving with some licences included
- Access exactly the same NAS OS that is updated regularly and has a huge app store to really customise your setup to make it your own
What are the Pros and Cons of the newer TS-453B QNAP NAS release?
Arriving with the ability to do almost any currently generation NAS task, the TS-453B is certainly in our top 5 4-Bay NAS servers of 2017. If you need a NAS to do that tasks you need and want to ensure you get the most for your money, look no further than this plucky little 4-Bay NAS from QNAP
When I first saw the specs and connections of this NAS I was genuinely impressed by it’s covering of numerous NAS applications and tasks. Only the TS-453A has ever left me equally impressed in terms of Cost vs Value of hardware. I cannot recommend it enough. With features like Dual HDMI, DUAL LAN, PCIe Slot, SD Card reader, Quick Connect DAS, one touch USB 3.0 Copy, Hot Swapping, new and improved remote control and more. This is fast becoming the home and SMB NAS to beat in 2017.
Using the new Intel Celeron J series CPU and 4/8GB of RAM means that it will handle most of the popular NAS tasks required of it. Functions, services and applications like Plex, Kodi over HDMI in Linux Station, VMs, standalone surveillance, all RAID levels, DLNA support, apple time machine, Mac and Windows full RTRRR, QVR Pro Beta are all possible with the TS-453B and can be set up quickly and easily
This great NAS for 2017 is easily a stand out model in terms of ability and hardware inside. But one factor that is often a controversial one is the chassis. For many the fact the TS-453B casing is mostly plastic is a put off. However it still maintains an excellent temperature, low noise and with the removable front panel (much like the Synology DS216+II) it is a closed system. Until you need access to the tooless HDD trays and hot swapping occasionally. In this way the TS-453B is as versatile and able as any other NAS
Again, those with 4K File editing on the fly, Thunderbolt connectivity and enterprise level use in mind, maybe spend the extra £500-2000 and buy a TVS-1282 from QNAP NAS
Only 2x LAN on this 4-Bay NAS, but you can add more with the PCIe. Aside from that and the lack of a Thunderbolt 3 connectivity option for MacBook Pro users are the only faults I can find
Many more advanced PC users will want to consider devices featuring i5 and i7 Intel CPU NAS servers as they have 1 or 2 very high end tasks in mind. Though the TS-453B is a fantastic device, it is designed to do many, many things well. If you have 1 or 2 things that need to be done to an enterprise standard, maybe look at the TVS-473
Despite the NAS doing everything you need, some will prefer the metal chassis and tray design of the QNAP TS-453A
What are the Pros and Cons of the more powerful NAS, TVS-473 released in 2017?
📧 LET ME KNOW ABOUT NEW POSTS 🔔
Get an alert every time something gets added to this specific article!
This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today's content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below