The Synology DS1618+ NAS – Everything you need to know
Last month we uncovered a new Synology 6-Bay, the DS1618+ diskstation, and it is the second 6-Bay NAS to feature in the 2018 range of devices (indeed, only the DS1618+ and DS3018xs 6-bays have ever released in this size). Sitting neatly in their product line up between the Synology DS1517+ and DS1817+, this NAS features very similar hardware options, yet a different CPU and revised memory. I always wondered why Synology had not entered into the 6 HDD/SSD arena of NAS sooner, as it has always been a sweet spot for companies like QNAP and Asustor NAS, given that it is a middle ground of both storage and hardware at a price point that is attractive. In fact, at £650+ without the VAT, it slots very neatly along the line up of the 4-Bay DS918+ and the 5/8 Bay devices mentioned. Will this alternate Intel Atom-based NAS with DDR4 memory mean a new line up of 5-Bay and 8-Bay (a DS1818+ or DS1819+ NAS perhaps?) – I cannot say, but never the less the specifications and hardware below are more than enough for a business seeking a robust file server or the photographer looking to centralize their data and open up the possibility of 10GBe one day. Take a look:
Why is the Synology DS1618+ NAS worth your time?
Synology DiskStation DS1618+ is a versatile, compact, yet powerful 6-bay NAS equipped with a quad-core processor, designed for small- and medium-sized businesses. It comes with advanced computing applications to meet businesses’ demands and supercharges your storage with the optional M.2 SSD adapter card for dual SSD cache drives. DS1618+ is ideal to serve as a centralized file server for simplifying
data management and protecting critical assets. Synology DS1618+ is backed with Synology’s 3-year limited warranty.
Why the Synology DS1618+ NAS a Reliable and Scalable Storage Server
Synology DS1618+ is a 6-bay network attached storage solution with great performance and scalability. DS1618+ supports up to 16 drives with two Synology DX517 expansion units, allowing you to start small and easily scale up on demand. In addition to 10GbE add-on card, which can upgrade the network capacity of DS1618+, the PCle slot also supports the optional SATA M.2 SSD adapter card to function as SSD cache for greatly enhancing storage performance without using the 3.5″ drive bays. DS1618+ is equipped with a quad-core processor and 4GB DDR4 memory (expandable up to 32GB). With Link Aggregation enabled, DS1618+ delivers outstanding sequential throughput performance at over 1,550 MB/s reading and 580 MB/s writing.
Btrfs and the Synology DS1618+ NAS
DS1618+ introduces the Btrfs file system, bringing the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern businesses. Featuring built-in data integrity check detects data and file system corruption with data and meta-data checksums and improves the overall stability. A Flexible Shared Folder/User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control over all user accounts and shared folders.
The DS1618+ NAS also supports advanced snapshot technology with customizable backup schedule allows up to 1,024 copies of shared folder backups in a minimum 5-minute interval without occupying huge storage capacity and system resources. Additionally, the Synology DS1618+ has file or folder level data restoration brings huge conveniences and saves time for users who wish to restore only a specific file or folder. This is further bolstered by file self-healing: Btrfs file system can auto-detect corrupted files with mirrored metadata, and recover broken data using the supported RAID volumes, which include RAID1, 5, 6, and 10.
Cross-platform File Sharing between Mac and Windows on the Synology DS1618+ NAS
DSM, the operating system running on all Synology NAS, provides fast and secure ways to share your critical digital assets. Synology Drive unifies multiple file portals on Synology NAS and greatly simplifies data management. You can share files with anyone, and customize access permissions for optimal security. Synology Drive makes it easy to share files across multiple platforms — whether it’s Windows®, Mac®, and Linux computers or mobile devices.
What Makes the Synology DS1618+ NAS the Ideal Backup Solution
DS1618+ integrates various backup applications to safeguard your important data on any device with an intuitive user interface and durable storage technologies.
Desktop to NAS backup Options
Cloud Station Backup safeguards your PC, Mac, or other desktop devices. DS1618+ is also compatible with Time Machine, allowing you to effortlessly backup your Mac to Synology NAS
Hyper Backup comprehensively backs up your data to a local shared folder, an external device, another Synology NAS, an rsync server, a public cloud service, or C2 Backup to ensure data safety
Active Backup for Server provides an agentless backup solution. It centralizes data from Windows and Linux servers through SMB and rsync to effectively minimize deployment and management costs.
Active Backup for Office 365/G Suite is an on-premise backup solution for public clouds with a centralized dashboard. Optimize storage efficiency with single instancing and block-level deduplication technology.
Using the Synology DS1618+ NAS as your Virtualization Environment
Synology’s Virtual Machine Manager adds unlimited capabilities to your NAS. Set up and run various virtual machines, including Windows, Linux, and Virtual DSM so that you can test new software versions in a sandbox environment, isolate your customers’ machines, and increase the flexibility of your DS1618+ with reduced hardware deployment and maintenance costs. Synology iSCSI storage fully supports most virtualization solutions to enhance work efficiency with a simple management interface. VMware vSphere™ 6.5 and VAAI integration helps offload storage operations and optimizes computation efficiency. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) speeds up data transfer and migration rates, while OpenStack Cinder support turns your Synology NAS into a block-based storage component.
Reliability, Availability & Disaster Recovery on the Synology DS1618+ NAS
System reliability is of paramount importance to businesses which depend upon their commercial servers every day. DS1618+ responds to these concerns with wide-ranging availability and redundancy features. First, you there is the Synology High Availability Manager ensuring a seamless transitioning between clustered servers with minimal impact to applications, preventing unexpected interruptions and costly downtime. Next, you have balanced redundant system fans and network ports with failover support ensure maximum continuous service uptime. High-reliability system design including fan-less CPU heat-sink and passive cooling technology, preventing single points of failure. Lastly, the 3 year warranty can be extended to 5 years with the purchase of an optional extended warranty package.
What are the Hardware and Software Specs of the Synology DS1618+ NAS
Although the chassis and bays of the Synology DS1618+ appear very similar to that of the DS3018xs, the internal hardware is much different to that and stylised on those of the DS1517+ and DS1817+, however, it is considerably better in a number of ways. They are:
Hardware Specifications of the Synology DS1618+ NAS
- CPU Intel Atom C3538 quad-core 2.1GHz
- Hardware encryption engine Yes (AES-NI)
- Memory 4 GB DDR4-2133 Non-ECC SO-DIMM (expandable up to 32 GB with 16 GB ECC SO-DIMM x 2)
- 2 x M.2 2280/2260/2242 SSD Slot
- 3 x USB 3.0 port
- 2 x Expansion port
- LAN 4 x 1GbE (RJ-45)
- Wake on LAN/WAN Yes
- PCIe 3.0 slot x8 slot x 1 (4-lane)
Software Specifications of the Synology DS1618+ NAS
- Networking protocol SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN ™, L2TP)
- File system • Internal: Btrfs, ext4
- External Support: Btrfs, ext4, ext3, FAT, NTFS, HFS+, exFAT5
- Supported RAID type Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 1
- File sharing capability
• Maximum local user accounts: 2,048
• Maximum local groups: 256
• Maximum shared folders: 512
• Maximum concurrent SMB/NFS/AFP/FTP connections: 1,000
- Privilege Windows Access Control List (ACL), application privilege
- Directory service Windows® AD integration: Domain users login via SMB/NFS/AFP/FTP/File Station, LDAP integration
- Virtualization VMware vSphere® 6.5, Microsoft Hyper-V®, Citrix®, OpenStack®
- Security Firewall, encrypted shared folder, SMB encryption, FTP over SSL/TLS, SFTP, rsync over SSH, login auto block, Let’s Encrypt support, HTTPS
Packages and Applications Available on the Synology DS1618+ NAS
- File Station Virtual drive, remote folder, Windows ACL editor, compressing/extracting archived files, bandwidth control for specific users or groups, creating sharing links, transfer logs
- Universal Search Offer global search into applications and files
- Hyper Backup Support local backup, network backup, and backup data to public clouds
- Active Backup for Server Centralize data backup for Windows and Linux servers without client installation
- Backup tools DSM configuration backup, macOS Time Machine support, Cloud Station Backup
- Shared folder sync – maximum tasks: 8
- Cloud Station Suite: Sync data between multiple platforms by installing the client utilities on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS devices, while retaining up to 32 historical versions of files
- Maximum concurrent file transfers: 1,000
- Surveillance Station Maximum IP cameras: 40 (total of 1,200 FPS at 720p, H.264) (includes two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)
- Virtual Machine Manager Deploy and run various virtual machines on Synology NAS, including Windows, Linux, or Virtual DSM
- High Availability Manager Reduce service downtime by setting up two identical NAS into one high-availability cluster
- Snapshot Replication • Maximum shared folder snapshots: 1,024
- Maximum replications: 32
- Active Directory Server A flexible and cost-effective domain controller solution
- VPN Server Maximum connections: 20, supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN™, L2TP/IPSec
- MailPlus Server Secure, reliable, and private mail solution with high-availability, load balancing
- MailPlus Intuitive webmail interface for MailPlus Server, customizable mail labels, filters, and user interface
- Collaboration tools
• Chat maximum users: 1,500
• Office maximum users: 1,800
• Calendar: support CalDAV and access via mobile devices
- Note Station Rich-text note organization and versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments
- Storage Analyzer Volume and quota usage, the total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files
- Antivirus Essential Full system scan, scheduled scan, whitelist customization, virus definition auto update
- Download Station Supported download protocols: BT, HTTP, FTP, NZB, eMule, Thunder, FlashGet, QQDL
- Maximum concurrent download tasks: 80
- Web Station Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB®, 3rd-party applications support
- Other packages Video Station, Photo Station, Audio Station, DNS Server, RADIUS Server, iTunes® Server, Log Center, additional 3rd-party packages are available in Package Center
Where can I buy the Synology DS1618+ NAS and how much is it?
The stock is incoming on the Synology DS1618+ NAS and currently is priced at £652 ex.VAT. Once again, below is all the confirmed information on this NAS. Demand is expected to be high, so maybe get your order in early:
The Synology DS1618+ NAS Specifications
- Atom Denverton C3538 Based CPU inside, Quad core 2.1GHz
- PCIe slot for adding the M2D17 m.2 SSD PCIe Card, the New M2D18 NVMe based SSD Cache Card or 10Gbe and 40GBe NIC card
- 2x eSATA expansion ports for adding 2x DX517 Boxes
- 38.947 Read IOPS 27.627 Write IOPS (iSCSI)
- 1.551MB/s Read 586MB/s Write over 10GBe and with SSD
- 6 bays of storage, up to a maximum 16 with expansions (6+5+5)
- 4GB DDR4 non-ECC SODIMM, expandable up to 32GB
- 4x 1GbE LAN ports
- BTRFS or EXT4 FIle system
- Mac and Windows Compatible
- Arrives with DSM 6.1 or 6.2 (once out of beta)
- RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 RAID 6 and SHR Support
- 3x 2.0 PCIe slots
- 3 Years Warranty
Need Advice on Data Storage from an Expert?We want to keep the free advice on NASCompares FREE for as long as we can. Since this service started back in Jan '18, We have helped hundreds of users every month solve their storage woes, but we can only continue to do this with your support. So please do choose to buy at SPAN, use links to Amazon on the articles when buying to provide advert revenue support or to donate/support the site below. Finally, for free advice about your setup, just leave a message in the comments below here at NASCompares.com and we will get back to you.
Need Help? Where possible (and where appropriate) please provide as much information about your requirements, as then I can arrange the best answer and solution to your needs. Do not worry about your e-mail address being required, it will NOT be used in a mailing list and will NOT be used in any way other than to respond to your enquiry.