Brand New Powerful 8-Bay RS1219+ NAS from Synology
It has really gone Synology crazy here lately. The 5th new release that has been unveiled by Synology has been announced and it is another new chassis size (lots of new IP from the big S). As already mentioned in the previous articles, two big events in network attached storage (and all technology of course) are being held in the next couple of weeks and we are all looking forward to seeing what new kit will be announced for 2018-2019. Computex 2018 in Taiwan and CeBit 2018 in Germany will take place in the first two weeks of June and whilst all the biggest players in the industry and audience are attending, Synology is holding their own separate events in both Taiwan and Hannover, Germany. Today I want to discuss the brand new 8-Bay expandable NAS for later this year, the Synology RS1219+ RackStation. A Brand new 8 HDD rackmount NAS that finally fills the long-running gap that Synology have had between 4-Bay and 12-Bay Rackmount NAS for years now. So, what is going to be so special about the new RS1219+ NAS from the Synology brand?
What are the Specifications of the Synology RS1219+ Rackstation NAS?
The new RS1219+ Rackmount NAS tells us a lot just by looking at the model ID. That said, many of the core details are still wrapped in secrecy and more will be known as time goes on. Below you will find all the information we know or can make fairly certainly estimations regarding (marked with TBC).
- It will feature an Atom Based CPU (if it is to stay in line with the DS1817+, RS818+, DS1618+ and more) TBC
- Two Memory slots supporting 2-16GB of Memory TBC
- No Mention of PCIe for 10Gbe, 40Gbe or Support of the new M2D18, but likely for a PLUS class NAS
- Can be expanded if you connect the Synology RX418 or RX1418RP to add an additional 4 bays, making a maximum 16x HDD/SSD media
- It will almost certainly be Supporting DSM 6.2 to a high extent (Virtual Machine Manager, Active Backup server, All Synology collaboration apps and surveillance)
- 4x LAN ports
- 3 Year Warranty and likely to support the additional 2-year warranty extension
- It will support the latest 10TB, 12TB and 14TB (currently only HGST) Hard Drives
- Supporting BTRFS and SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID), as well as standards like EXT4 and all the traditional RAID levels like RAID 0,1,5,6,10,etc
When will the Synology RS1219+ NAS be Released?
If you are looking for a NAS that leverages its price evenly between internal hardware and software support, the RS1219+ could easily be the best rackmount NAS of the year. What makes it attractive is that for a long time now Synology have tended towards making buyers choose between big storage or powerful internal hardware, rarely combining the two in a single NAS device. They will throw the option of an expansion NAS further along the line to you, but for the most part, you are forced to choose from the outset whether to go big storage, big power, or big cost! The RS1219+ represents an attractive change of attitude from a (usually immovable) company like Synology to be more flexible. Details very thin and will have more very soon from the Synology events in Taiwan and Hannover, outside Computex and CeBit 2018.
Need Advice on Data Storage from an Expert?
We want to keep the free advice on NASCompares FREE for as long as we can. Since this service started back in Jan '18, We have helped hundreds of users every month solve their storage woes, but we can only continue to do this with your support. So please do choose to buy at SPAN, use links to Amazon on the articles when buying to provide advert revenue support or to donate/support the site below.
Finally, for free advice about your setup, just leave a message in the comments below here at NASCompares.com and we will get back to you.
Need Help? Where possible (and where appropriate) please provide as much information about your requirements, as then I can arrange the best answer and solution to your needs. Do not worry about your e-mail address being required, it will NOT be used in a mailing list and will NOT be used in any way other than to respond to your enquiry.