Thunderbolt 3 NAS has arrived from the guys at QNAP with the TVS-882ST3
CES 2017 has come around and QNAP NAS did not disappoint! Many, many new QNAP NAS server devices were announced and uncovered, alongside a number of already mentioned units in the pipeline. Today I want to talk to you about the latest and greatest Thunderbolt NAS release from QNAP – The Thunderbolt3 NAS for SSD and 2.5″ HDD, the QNAP TVS-882ST3 NAS. A recent update in production to the soon to be released QNAP TVS-882ST, this smaller form factor NAS server features an insane amount of connectivity! The Chassis is based on the older TS-853s 8-Bay NAS and is designed to be compact, with a lower power consumption, a lower noise and most importantly of all – to be POWERFUL. In all these points it delivers, but it is in the final point that it really delivers the killing blow.
Among many of it’s outstanding attributes, the obvious big pull factor is Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. We are still waiting on confirmation of Mac compatibility, but it is almost a forgone conclusion that this unit will be compatible with the latest MacBook Pro 2016 that features Thunderbolt 3 ports over UBS-C. Details are slowly becoming available and of course I will update this article as I go, but below are the specs we know so far.
What are the specifications fo the TVS-882ST3 and TVS-882ST2?
- The unit will be available with TB2 (TVS-882ST2) or TB3 (TVS-882ST3) as needed
- USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 at front and one TYPE-A at the rear for 10GB per second connectivity
- 10GBe ports x2 on the rear for those with a 10 gigabit network connectivity
- Several models are available featuring an i5 or i7 and upto 16GB of memory
- 2x USB 3.0, 2x 1GBe LAN, 1x HDMI on the rear
- Internal PSU and just a kettle plug mains connector on the rear for easy World-wide power connectivity
- large single rear controllable fan to keep things cool as required
- Still no confirmation on Mac Compatibility
- Can be daisy-chained over Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt3
SPAN.COM will be one of the first worldwide to stock this item – Click below to keep updated on it’s release and ordering