Comparing the home use TS-251A NAS and the SMB TS-253B NAS from QNAP
What can both NAS server’s do? Before I get down to which of these units is better at what task, I think it is important to know the things that BOTH of these NAS devices can do. So, whether you decide upon older but cheaper QNAP TS-251A or the higher priced but far more able QNAP TS-253B NAS, you will definitely be able to:
- Host a Virtualisation or Container Platform – setup and run multiple VMs, supporting multiple Operating systems and enhanced by the Docker app, Container Station
- Full access to your media from mobile devices, PC, Laptop and console devices
- Have both network access from your LAN or over the internet, as well as DIRECT access via USB 3.0 to the contents of the NAS at all times
- Have a remote control included that provides full media control from the comfort of your sofa and via your HDMI enabled TV. However the type of remote differs dependently on the unit.
- The QNAP TS-453B NAS Remote control:The QNAP TS-451A NAS Remote control:
- Serve as a cross platform service – bridging connections and transfers of files between Mac and Windows systems over the network
- Heavily support background data checks and comprehensive snapshot technology meaning you will have an equal amount of backup options whichever you go for. As well as migration, connection and interaction with existing cloud services like dropbox, Google Drive ElephantDrive
- Create a comprehensive Surveillance solutions, supporting multiple IP cameras and even arriving with some licences included
- Access exactly the same NAS OS that is updated regularly and has a huge app store to really customise your setup to make it your own
What are the Pros and Cons of the TS-253B New NAS from QNAP?
For the pure funtionality and ability, you will struggle to do better than this NAS. It is designed to be the answer to your NAS needs and delivers in almost everyway. It brings years of technical evolution and innovation to a climax and produces a fantastic little NAS solution in the TS-253B
easily one of the most fully featured NAS servers in this price range available to date! With many of the key hardware and software applications of the QNAP TVS-473, TS-451A, TS-453A and more – but all available in this single NAS. Dual HDMI, DUAL LAN, PCIe Slot, SD Card reader, Quick Connect DAS, one touch USB 3.0 Copy, Hot Swapping, new and improved remote control and more. This is fast becoming the home and SMB NAS to beat in 2017
Supporting everything from Plex, Kodi over HDMI in Linux Station, VMs, standalone surveillance, all RAID levels, DLNA support, apple time machine, Mac and Windows full RTRRR, QVR Pro Beta and more – you will struggle to find something this NAS cannot do
Very unique chassis design from QNAP in the newly release TS-253B NAS for 2017. It is both compact and remarkably packed with features. The removable front panel acts as both protection for the HDD trays and a preventative measure for dust. Also the addition of an LCD panel, SD Card Reader, Direct Attached Connection and 1 Touch copy button mean this small little NAS has an incredible number of features
Misses the mark just a little without arriving with TB3 connectivity and some users may be put off by the plastic chassis
Those looking for something for enterprise use will perhaps be better looking for something in the TVS-1282 Series in an i5 or i7. This NAS is about being able to do many, many things very well, rather than 1 or 2 things incredibly
We just wish QNAP released the Thunderbolt 3 Card to buy seperately. A two Bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS would be incredible! Such a shame…but you never know
Shame it is almost 80% plastic externally. Yes that reduces noise and makes it quite, but some may be put off by this
What are the Pros and Cons of the older but well known TS-251A NAS released in 2016?
📧 LET ME KNOW ABOUT NEW POSTS 🔔
Get an alert every time something gets added to this specific article!
This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today's content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below