Brand New QNAP NAS – Is the TS-551 3-Bay worthy of your data?
I have been in the business of NAS for several years now and in all those years I have never seen such aggressive release schedules as I have seen from QNAP recently. In an impressive revamp and re-ordering of their ranges, we have seen the featured abilities and trends really develop on their respective series. In the last 2 months, we have seen the announcement and release of a 3-Bay RAID 5 TS-328 NAS, a 9-Bay HDD+SSD combination TS-963X NAS and the streamlined TS-x73 series. Now in mid-May (under a month till Computex and CeBit), we have been alerted to another new QNAP. The newly announced QNAP TS-551 NAS is designed more in line with the fully featured home and SMB compact NAS such as the TS-251A, but this new NAS has been issued with many of the features of it’s bigger brothers.
What is the QNAP TS-551 NAS and who needs it?
The TS-551 is an affordable NAS for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) with Intel Celeron J3355 Dual-core 2.0 GHz processor, that can be burst upto 2.5Ghz. To date, this CPU is only found in the popular Synology DS218+ and I have always wondered why it never featured in more devices. Alongside massive support of QTS 4.3.4 and all its applications, it also arrives with RAID 0, 1 and 5 support over 3x 3.5″ Bays and Two 2.5-inch drive bays that can be used to install SSDs and enable caching and Qtier technology. Dual RJ45 1Gbe ports that can be used individually or combined via link aggregation and effectively double upload and downloads internally.
Combined with several QNAP technologies including VJBOD, Container Station, and Virtualization Station, the TS-551 has the potential to empower a wide range of business applications and can also be easily expanded to fit future data storage requirements in both home and office environments.
What Applications will the TS-551 NAS Support?
Although details are a little thin at the moment, it is safe to say that the QNAP TS-551 NAS will support many of the popular featured apps on the QNAP QTS 4.3.4 Platform. Below are just a few of the features and software you can use (alongside these you can also use popular 3rd party apps like Plex Media Server, Emby, Windows Server, VMWare and more):
- Network & Virtual Switch Support
- File station for user and their file management
- Photo station for images (plus facial recognition, 360 Support, etc)
- Music Station (locally playback music over DLNA, Speaker or over the internet)
- Video Station (Playback, Streaming and Transcoding media upto 4K)
- QSync multi-device backup software (PC, Mac, Android and iOS)
- RAID and Cache management with the Storage Manager
- HD Station for Apps with HDMI output
- Virtualization Station for Windows, Linux and Android VMs on the NAS
- Backup Station to sync NAS and Servers together
- Container Station for LXC and Docker Applications
- Cloud Drive, Backup and Sync for NAS-to-Cloud communication
- QSirch for smart and easy file searches
- Surveillance Station CCTV over IP Cameras, with live deck, Standalone access and mobile access
- OceanKTV for Karaoke with HDMI and Audio ports
- Download Station for HTTP, FRP, NZB and BT download all controlled and stored in one place
What are the Hardware Specifications of the QNAP TS-551 NAS?
Specifications for the QNAP TS-551 NAS are below and it is worth noting that these are subject to change:
When will the TS-551 QNAP NAS be Released?
With big tech events like Computex 2018 in Taiwan and CeBit 2018 in Germany, this will not be the last big new release from QNAP for this year, but I think we will see the TS-551 NAS released before Q3 of 2018.
Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
SEARCH IN THE BOX BELOW FOR NAS DEALS