Brand New DS119J 1-Bay NAS announced for later in 2018
Of all the many things that were shown at the Synology Solution Exhibition in Hannover, Germany, one little sneaky mention that was made was another release for later in the year (we can only assume Q3 as always). As we expected from the previous release schedule, we are going to see the release of the DS119J NAS. To say this is long overdue would be rather an understatement – it’s predecessor being the DS115J release about a million years ago. So, what will the DS119J feature in terms of hardware and software, what makes it better than the DS115J NAS and is this compact non-RAID 1 HDD NAS worth your data?
What are the Hardware specifications of the Synology DS119J NAS?
As you would expect from any new Synology release, the 1-Bay DS119J is a little cloaked in secrecy. It is worth highlighting that details are of course subject to change and we cannot see a release anytime before September/October of 2018. Here is what we know:
- Dual Core CPU of 32-bit Architecture
- Marvell A3720 dual-core 800MHz
- 256MB of Memory – Cannot be Upgraded
- Supported latest 12 and 14TB drives (mention of 16TB…hmmm)
- 1-Bay of HDD or SSD Storage
- Almost identical chassis to the DS115J NAS Design – Same non-hot-swap case
- Front LEDs to show system access/use
- Single rear fan
- Dual USB 2.0 Ports (TBC)
- Single LAN port
- Light ventilation throughout
- 166 mm x 71 mm x 224 mm in size
- External PSU
What are the Software specifications of the Synology DS119J NAS?
Unsurprisingly, as this is a value model, it’s software limitations will not be anywhere near that of relative beasts like the DS918+ or DS718+. However, it will certainly arrive with software support much greater than that of the Synology DS115J. DSM (Diskstation Manager) will support more software features thanks to that improved CPU. As mentioned, these are still very much early details and therefore should be double checked closer to the official release.
- DSM Software onboard – though with much more streamlined App selection
- No RAID support (as this is a single bay device) but Cloud support with numerous 3rd party cloud platforms, as well as USB external drive support, mean that you can have several other data protective measures in place beside disk redundancy.
- Backup ideal! As this is going to be a very cost-effective device, it is perfect to live in your network environment as a backup to an existing NAS/Folder/volume on another server.
- Light Surveillance, Based on CPU estimate, at least 5 IP Camera Support in Surveillance Station (256MB memory is a limiting factor).
- DLNA Support for Smart TVs, Consoles and Audio devices such as Bose and Sonos
- Supports almost all fo the home-based NAS applications for Android and iOs
Check Availability and the Release of the Synology DS119J NAS here –
📧 LET ME KNOW ABOUT NEW POSTS 🔔
Get an alert every time something gets added to this specific article!
This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today's content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
Need Advice on Data Storage from an Expert?We want to keep the free advice on NASCompares FREE for as long as we can. Since this service started back in Jan '18, We have helped hundreds of users every month solve their storage woes, but we can only continue to do this with your support. So please do choose to buy at Amazon US and Amazon UK on the articles when buying to provide advert revenue support or to donate/support the site below. Finally, for free advice about your setup, just leave a message in the comments below here at NASCompares.com and we will get back to you. Need Help? Where possible (and where appropriate) please provide as much information about your requirements, as then I can arrange the best answer and solution to your needs. Do not worry about your e-mail address being required, it will NOT be used in a mailing list and will NOT be used in any way other than to respond to your enquiry.
Support What We Do
Terms and Conditions Alternatively, why not ask me on the ASK NASCompares forum, by clicking the button below. This is a community hub that serves as a place that I can answer your question, chew the fat, share new release information and even get corrections posted. I will always get around to answering ALL queries, but as a one-man operation, I cannot promise speed! So by sharing your query in the ASK NASCompares section below, you can get a better range of solutions and suggestions, alongside my own. This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today’s video. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
DISCUSS with others your opinion about this subject.
ASK questions to NAS community
SHARE more details what you have found on this subject
CONTRIBUTE with your own article or review. Click HERE
IMPROVE this niche ecosystem, let us know what to change/fix on this site
EARN KO-FI Share your knowledge with others and get paid for it! Click HERE
One thought on “Brand New DS119J 1-Bay NAS Revealed for later in 2018”
Finally a replacement to DS115j. It seems great, but they could put 512MB of RAM I think. The gap with DS118 (1GB Ram) is too big.
Hope the price will be the same as for the DS115j, without price increase.