Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Specifications, Cost and Abilities Revealed
FlashStation FS6400 is a highly reliable and ultra-high performance all-flash server for I/O-intensive and latency sensitive applications, such as multimedia post-production, virtual machines, online transaction processing, or databases. FS6400 is backed by Synology’s 5-year limited warranty. Arriving at around £9,500 ex.VAT from SPAN.COM, the FS6400 FlashStation server features truly unparalelled hardware, greater than any Synology NAS before. With highlights such as:
- Synology all-flash server targeted at I/O-intensive and latency-sensitive applications
- Over 240,000 iSCSI 4K Random Write IOPS, ultra-high performance with low latency
- Dual Intel Xeon Silver 8-core processors
- 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM, expandable up to 512GB
- Onboard 10GBASE-T ports, as well as capable of installing optional 10GbE/25GbE/40GbE NICs
- Complete virtualization solution for VMware vSphere, Windows Server Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, and OpenStack Cinder
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder
- Scale up to 72 drives with 2 x Synology expansion unit RX2417sas
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Performance
Synology FlashStation FS6400 is a 2U rackmount server designed for I/O-intensive and latency-sensitve tasks. Featuring two Intel Xeon Silver processors with Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA) I/O optimization, 24 drive bays supporting 2.5″ SAS/SATA SSD, and 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM, FS6400 provides over 240,000 iSCSI 4K random write IOPS and is ideal for multimedia post-production, virtual machines, online transaction processing, or database applications. FS6400 comes with two 10GBASE-T ports and supports optional network interface cards for high-speed data transmission.
Storage capacity can be further scaled up with Synology expansion unit RX1217sas/RX2417sas, providing up to 72 storage drives with elastic Expandability. 5-year product warranty guarantees hardware replacement and technical support services, maximizing your return on investment (ROI).
- Operating System: DSM 6.2
- Storage space type: RAID F1
- FS6400: Intel DC S4610 series 480GB SSDSC2KG480G8 SATA SSD for all palletsFS1018: Intel DC S3710 series 800GB SSDSC2BA800G4 SATA SSD for all pallets
- Memory: FS6400: 64GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM (16GB x 4)
- File System: Btrfs
- Aggregate 10GbE SMB network environment: FS6400: 6 sets of 10GbE network holes (built-in 10GbE network hole + 2 x Intel X540-T2 network card)
- 10GbE iSCSI network environment: FS6400: 6 sets of 10GbE network holes (built-in 10GbE network hole + 2 x Intel X540-T2 network card)
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Arrives with RAID F1 and Btrfs
FS6400 introduces the Btrfs file system, bringing the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern businesses:
- Advanced snapshot technology provides schedulable, near-instantaneous data protection of shared folders and iSCSI LUNs
- File and folder level data restoration brings huge conveniences and saves time for users who wish to restore only a specific file or
- Flexible shared folder and user quota system provide comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders
- File self-healing: Btrfs file system is able to auto-detect corrupted files with mirrored metadata and recover broken data using the supported RAID volumes, which include RAID1, 5, 6, 10, and Synology RAID F1.
Due to the nature of SSD and RAID technology, how to avoid all hard drives failing at the same point in time due to the even distribution of workloads to each hard disk is the most common problem. RAID F1 distributes workloads to each hard drive in a non-average manner through a specially designed algorithm to improve the life of the hard drive while increasing the durability of the storage area and ensuring the security of your data. Innocent.
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Enterprise-Grade Application and Support
Powered by the innovative Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), FS6400 comes fully-equipped with applications and features designed specifically for large-scale businesses
- Windows AD and LDAP support allows easy integration with existing business directory services.
- Windows ACL support provides fine-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing FS6400 to fit seamlessly into existing infrastructure.
- Internet file access is simplified by the encrypted FTP server and the web-based file explorer Synology File Station. HTTPS, firewall, and IP auto-block support ensures file sharing over the Internet is protected with a high level of security.
- Application privileges control access to applications and packages based on each individual account, user group, or IP address.
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS and Virtualization Deployment
Synology iSCSI storage fully supports most virtualization solutions to enhance work efficiency with a simple management interface. VMware vSphere 6.5 and VAAI integration helps offload storage operations and optimizes computation efficiency. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) speeds up data transfer and migration rates, while OpenStack Cinder support turns your Synology NAS into a block-based storage component.
Synology Virtual Machine Manager adds boundless capabilities to your NAS. Set up and run various virtual machines, including Windows, Linux, and Virtual DSM, so that you can test new software versions in a sandbox environment, isolate your customers’ machines, and increase the flexibility of your FS6400 with reduced hardware deployment and maintenance costs. The intuitive and easy-to-use Virtual Machine Manager opens up rich application possibilities for your Synology NAS server. You can install and run a variety of virtual machines including Windows, Linux, Virtual DSM, and more on your Synology NAS. More importantly, VMM provides a disaster recovery solution for your IT environment, helping to increase server management resiliency and maximize service uptime.
With VMM, you can build clustering architectures for up to seven Synology NASs. VMM clustering supports migration and elastic scalability for load balancing and resource configuration.
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Protection and Recovery
System reliability is critical for businesses everywhere. FS6400 responds to these concerns with wide-ranging availability and redundancy features:
- Synology High Availability ensures seamless transitioning between clustered servers in the event of unexpected disasters and ensures that your services remain online.
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable, near-instantaneous data protection, ensuring business documents in shared folders, virtual machines in iSCSI LUNs, or dockerized application data remain safe and available in the event of a disaster.
- Redundant power supplies, system fans and network ports with failover support ensure continual service uptime.
- High reliability system design, including fan-less CPU heat-sink and passive cooling technology, prevents single points of failure.
- DDR4 ECC RDIMM reduces power consumption and has error
detection and correction capabilities during data transmission
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Team Collaboration Applications
Use the collaboration suites on your Synology NAS to build a private cloud to enhance team cooperation and boost productivity.
- Synology Drive allows you to access the data and files on Synology NAS through a unified portal and enable data synchronization across platforms. You can also install the online editor Synology Office and collaborate with others on Documents, Spreadsheets, and Slides.
- Synology MailPlus allows your business to set up a private and reliable mail server with the support of high-availability design and gives your employees an intuitive web-based client to manage emailsand boost productivity.
- Synology Calendar enables you to manage team schedules and organize daily tasks effortlessly. Event information can also be synced to your CalDAV clients, allowing you to check schedules anywhere and anytime.
- Synology Chat is a web-based application that allows you to start conversations instantly and safely and optimizes companies’ internal communications with its powerful information management and interaction features.
Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Drive Specifications
Below are the full technical specifications of the Synology FS6400 Flash Based NAS. Though comparable to NAS drives such as the Synology FS3400 and FS3017, the FS6400 still manages to boast a very impressive hardware level, in a single rackmount chassis
|Processor model||Intel Xeon Silver 4110 x 2|
|Processor clock||Eight core 2.1 (basic frequency) / 3.0 (maximum overclocking) GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)||YES|
|System memory||32 GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM|
|Pre-installed memory module||32 GB (16 GB x 2)|
|Total number of memory slots||16|
|Memory can be expanded to||512 GB (32 GB x 16)|
|Number of disk slots||twenty four|
|Maximum number of disk slots in which the expansion unit is installed||48 (RX1217sas) / 72 (RX2417sas)|
|Compatible disk type* (see all supported disks)||
|Maximum internal net total storage capacity||184.32 TB (7.68 TB drive x 24) (Capacity varies by RAID type)|
|Maximum net total storage capacity with expansion unit||552.96 TB (184.32 TB + 7.68 TB drive x 48) (Capacity varies by RAID type)|
|Maximum single storage capacity||
|Disk hot swap support||YES|
|RJ-45 1GbE network hole||2 (supports Link Aggregation / fault transfer)|
|RJ-45 10GbE network hole||2 (supports Link Aggregation / fault transfer)|
|USB 3.0 port埠||2|
|PCIe expansion||2 x Gen3 x8 slots (x8 link)|
|Expansion card support||PCIe Network Interface Card (see more)|
|Remarks||exFAT Access is purchased separately from the kit center.|
|Size (height x width x depth)||88 mm x 482 mm x 724 mm|
|Rack mount support||Four-post 19 吋 (Synology Rack Kit – RKS1317 )|
|Remarks||Rack kits need to be purchased separately|
|System fan||80 mm x 80 mm x 4 pcs|
|Replaceable system fan||YES|
|Automatic power reply||YES|
|Noise value*||53.7 dB(A)|
|Wake on the network||YES|
|Power supply / transformer||800W|
|Dual power supply||YES|
|AC input voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Current frequency||50/60Hz, single frequency|
|Power consumption*||288.49 W (access)
145.8 W (hard disk hibernation)
|British thermal unit||984.37 BTU/hr (access)
497.49 BTU/hr (hard disk hibernation)
|Working temperature||0°C to 35°C (32°F to 95°F)|
|Storage temperature||-20 ° C to 60 ° C (-5 ° F to 140 ° F)|
|Relative humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|DSM product specifications (see more)|
|Maximum storage space||256|
|Maximum number of iSCSI targets||256|
|Maximum number of iSCSI LUNs||512|
|iSCSI LUN Clone/Snapshot, Windows Uninstall Data Transfer (ODX)||YES|
|SSD read/write cache (White Paper)||YES|
|Support RAID disk array type||
|RAID configuration migration||
|Expand storage with larger hard drives||
|Add new hard drive expansion storage||
|Global Hot Spare supports RAID types||
|Maximum simultaneous CIFS/AFP/FTP connection number||8,000|
|Maximum simultaneous CIFS/AFP/FTP connection (with extended memory)||10,000|
|Windows Access Control List (ACL) integration||YES|
|NFS Kerberos authentication||YES|
|Account and shared folders|
|Maximum number of local user accounts||16,000|
|Maximum number of local groups||512|
|Maximum number of shared folders||512|
|Maximum shared folder synchronization task||32|
|Synology High Availability||YES|
|Log receipts per second||3,000|
|VMware vSphere 6 with VAAI||YES|
|Windows Server 2016||YES|
|Additional kits (learn more about the complete add-on kit list)|
|Antivirus by McAfee (Trial)||YES|
|Central Management System||YES|
|Maximum number of users||6,000|
|exFAT Access (optional)||YES|
|Synology MailPlus / MailPlus Server||YES|
|Number of free email accounts||5 (If you want to have more email accounts, you need to purchase additional licenses)|
|Maximum simultaneous number of people on the line||2,200|
|Maximum server performance||5,721,000 emails / daily, about 174GB|
|Maximum number of snapshots supported by a single shared folder||1,024|
|Maximum number of system snapshots||65,536|
|Maximum camera support number(camera license required)||128 (with 2 free licenses) (View compatible webcam)|
|Frames per second (FPS) (H.264)*||3840 FPS @ 720p (1280×720)
3456 FPS @ 1080p (1920×1080)
1664 FPS @ 3M (2048×1536)
970 FPS @ 5M (2591×1944)
690 FPS @ 4K (3840×2160)
|Frames per second (FPS) (H.265)*||3840 FPS @ 720p (1280×720)
3840 FPS @ 1080p (1920×1080)
3072 FPS @ 3M (2048×1536)
1792 FPS @ 5M (2591×1944)
1140 FPS @ 4K (3840×2160)
|Frames per second (FPS) (MJPEG)*||1260 FPS @ 720p (1280×720)
770 FPS @ 1080p (1920×1080)
560 FPS @ 3M (2048×1536)
400 FPS @ 5M (2591×1944)
|Remarks||The Surveillance Station uses an Axis camera; the video schedule is continuous; the Surveillance Station is used as the source of the live image; the motion detection source is set to the camera; the live image and the video use the same set of video streams.|
|Recommended number of files to store||5,000,000 (for archives or files belonging to Synology Drive , please refer to the file service of the above fields for files accessed through other agreements)|
|Recommended number of current client PC connections||2,000 (the number of devices that can be connected at the same time when the number of files is recommended)|
|Maximum number of users||3,400|
|Virtual Machine Manager||YES|
|Recommended number of virtual machines||32 (see more)|
|Recommended number of Virtual DSMs (purchase authorization)||32 (including 1 free license)|
|Maximum number of connections||40|
|Environment and packaging|
|Remarks||The D4RD-2666-16G must be used with a memory module of the same capacity and frequency. For more information, please click on this link .|
Where and When Can I Buy The Synology FS6400 FlashStation NAS Drive?
Right now, the Synology FS6400 specifications have only just been unveiled, but the £9,500+ price tag (not including your local tax) is now available, so the official release is no doubt a fair way away. Information like the FS6400 release, confirmation of the specifications and how well this device will support DSM 6.2 and DSM 7.0 in Beta will be updated. I recommend that you visit SPAN.COM below and check out the product pages. Regularly updated and from a reliable source, SPAN.COM is your go-to resource for all things NAS and DAS in 2019. Take a look below:
Articles Get Updated Regularly - Get an alert every time something gets added to this page!
Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
SEARCH IN THE BOX BELOW FOR NAS DEALS
Need Advice on Data Storage from an Expert?We want to keep the free advice on NASCompares FREE for as long as we can. Since this service started back in Jan '18, We have helped hundreds of users every month solve their storage woes, but we can only continue to do this with your support. So please do choose to buy at SPAN, use links to Amazon on the articles when buying to provide advert revenue support or to donate/support the site below. Finally, for free advice about your setup, just leave a message in the comments below here at NASCompares.com and we will get back to you. Need Help? Where possible (and where appropriate) please provide as much information about your requirements, as then I can arrange the best answer and solution to your needs. Do not worry about your e-mail address being required, it will NOT be used in a mailing list and will NOT be used in any way other than to respond to your enquiry.