QNAP Preview the TS-328 3-Bay NAS at CES 2018
QNAP have put on a show at CES 2018 with a host of new NAS and AI related hardware being released throughout the year. Today I want to focus on the rather unconventional 3-bay NAS server, the QNAP TS-328 (TS-328-2G and TS-328-4G). We are all familiar with 1-Bay, 2-Bay and 4-Bay NAS systems, their advantages in terms of overall capacity and RAID options, but this is the first 3-Bay Hard Drive NAS I have ever come across. So, is this just an experiment to get attention, or is this worthy of your attention?
The QNAP TS-328 arrives with the Realtek RTD1296 CPU. This processor has grown in popularity these last 6 months as we have seen it featured in many popular Synology and QNAP NAS devices. It is a surprising chip, 2ndonly to the AMD Ryzen, in getting peoples attention in 2017 and now in 2018 we are going to see it more and more in the IT sector. This 64bit Architecture CPU is a quad-core 1.4GHz chip, that supports AES-256bit encryption, 4K Playback and transcoding of h.265. Installed in the TS-328, it can provide RAID support of RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 5, as well as comfortably supporting the QNAP QTS 4.3.4 platform.
You will need to give things like virtual machines, Plex and large-scale rendering/editing tasks a miss with this unit, but it can easily support and perform modern NAS tasks in the home and SMB market with ease. All these processes are supported by a further 2 or 4GB of DDR4 memory (2133Mhz). These specs will easily provide you with a stable platform for common QNAP NAS software as:
- Download Station for HTTP, BT, FTP and NZB downloads
- Photo Station, Video Station and Music Station support, as well as large-scale thumbnail generation
- The QNAP App center, with hundreds of apps
- All the mobile applications for iOS and Android, such as Qfile, Qvideo, Qmanager and more
- A host of applications for backing up, syncronising, backup and more
- Apple Time Machine Multiple Image Support
- Snapshot support
- Surveillance with the use of IP Cameras and the QNAP Surveillance Station Application
What are the Specifications and Release Date of the QNAP TS-328 NAS?
You can register your interest in the QNAP TS-328 3-Bay NAS below at SPAN.COM. Do not forget to click the ‘notify me’ button to ensure that you receive every single update on price, release dates and availability as and when they are available.
- Brand New Chassis
- 3x HDD Bay
- Internal Installation – No Hot Swapping
- Realtek RTD1296 1.4 GHz quad-core processor
- 2GB and 4GB DDR4 Memory
- RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 Support
- 4K H.264 and H.265 Media Support and Hardware Transcoding
- Snapshot Support
- One-Touch USB 3.0 Copy Button
- Rear Speaker
- IOIOI Port
- Audio Out
- Single Rear Controllable Fan
- Dual LAN