Brand New QNAP TS-451D Intel J4025 NAS in 2020
Today we want to talk about a brand new QNAP NAS that arrives with familiar hardware inside and outside, that we have seen in newer generation hardware they have revealed for 2019/2020 (such as the QGD-1600P Guardian, the TS-451D and TS-x53D series, to combine them into a new and attractive NAS drive for this summer. The new QNAP TS-451D is aimed at the same NAS users who considered the specifications of the TS-251D, TS-251B or TS-251A, but want it in a 4 drive, RAID 5 enabled package. Although only few details are available right now, there is still enough to see that this is going to be a popular NAS for home users that want access to the best of what QNAP NAS and QTS 4.4.2 has to offer, but insist on newer generation featured options such as true 4K 60FPS HDMI out and access to even better PCIe upgrades! There are rumours floating around that this device will only be available for release in the East (eg China Only), but aside from that being a crying shame in terms of what we gather it arrives with, it would serve as a long-overdue successor to the TS-451+ and TS-451A. So, let’s take a closer look at this new QNAP NAS drive for 2020 and see if the TS-451D deserves your data.
What are the Hardware Specifications of the QNAP TS-451D NAS?
Using a chassis that is similar in both shape and design to the QNAP TS-451A, the new QNAP TS-451D NAS arrives in a dark metallic blue and charcoal black plastic chassis, it arrives with familiar ports and connections on the front and back, however, thanks to an upgraded CPU, the memory has made the jump to DDR4 and the HDMI port steps it’s game up from 1.4b to HDMI 2.0a.
- Intel J4025 Gemini Lake CPU, Dual Core 2.0-2.9Ghz CPU
- 2GB DDR4 Memory, Expandable to 8GB
- 2x 1Gbe LAN Ports
- HDMI 2.0a
- 4x USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1 /USB 3.2 Gen 1/ USB 3.0)
- Black & Blue Plastic Chassis (Same physical design as the TS-451A and TS-431K NAS)
- 4 Bays of screwless SATA storage, Supporting upto 16TB per drive
- Front-mounted LEDs
- Front USB and 1-Touch Copy Button
- Support for the 5Gbe QNA-UC5G1T Adapter over USB 3.0
One particular thing I noticed in the new TS-451D, was the absence of the Audio in/out and speaker featured on the TS-451A, or the USB Direct-Connection port that allowed a USB connection (admittedly limited to 1Gbe – 100MB/s). Though these were fantastically niche connections for a network-attached storage device (with the audio sockets used in an allocated VM, connected Audio Speakers, Karaoke and system verbal alerts), I am a little sad to see them go. However, I imagine I am very much in the minority on this one!
What are the Software Specifications of the QNAP TS-451D NAS?
First Party QNAP Applications for the TS-451D
- QSync for Backing up multiple Devices to the NAS on a schedule/as needed
- Hyper Backup Sync 3
- HybridMount for mounting cloud storage
- vJBOD for mounting the NAS storage to other servers
- QUMagie for photo collections and AI-enabled face/thing recognition
- Multimedia Console for managing media sharing, streaming, transcoding and indexing
- File Station for File Management, sharing and permission allocation
- Download Station for managing HTTP/FTP/NZB/BT downloads, as well as RSS feeds for podcasts and updates
- QFiling and QSirch to better organize files and remove duplicates/waste
- HD Station for HDMI Output and handling Apps over HDMI
- Cloud Drive for Migrating and Synchronizing between Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, etc
- Photo Station to organize and catalogue photo collections
- Music Station to organize, playback and stream music media to network/internet devices
- Video Station to playback media over the network/internet and transcode as needed upto 4K
- Container Station for management micro/compact virtual environments
- QVR Pro and Surveillance Station for Surveillance use with IP Cameras
- Linux Station for Linux VMs and Applications
- MANY more QNAP Apps
Third-Party Applications for the TS-451D
- Plex Media Server
- iTunes Server
- Acronis True Image Backup
- Malware Remover
- Desktop Client Applications from QNAP
- QSync for Mac and Windows
- QVR Pro Client for Mac/WIndows
- Surveillance Station Client for PC/Mac
- QFinder Pro for Mac/PC
Mobile Applications for iOS and Android
- Qfile – File manager
- QPhoto – Photo Manager
- QVideo – Video Manager
- QMusic – Music Manager
- QVR Pro Mobile – Surveillance App
- QRemote – Remote Control App over the Network
- QNotes – Central note-taking app, for collaboration between users
How do the QNAP TS-451D and TS-251D NAS Compare?
As previously mentioned, the new QNAP TS-451D looks set for a summer 2020 release, possibly only in select regions and right now, it’s most direct comparison is the QNAP TS-251D. I have no doubt that the new release, at launch, will cost a pinch more than the TS-251D (likely upto 20-25%) in line with inflation, newer components and… well… because one is old and one is new! The timing of this new release news is also an important one, given that many regions are having supply issues, as well as businesses altering their buying patterns in the first half of 2020 due to social and economic changes brought upon by COVID-19. Below are the KEY differences between these two devices in the areas that buyers care about the most (outside of the obvious fact that one is a 2-Bay and the other a 4-Bay) and if one of these is a deal-breaker for you, then maybe hold onto your money just that little while longer and old out for the TS-451D (if you can even get it in your region), or go BIG and go for the TS-453D when that eventually hits the shelves.
|QNAP TS-451D NAS
|VS||QNAP TS-251D NAS
|Intel J4025 2-Core CPU
Intel UHD Graphics 600
|Intel J4005 2-Core CPU
Intel UHD Graphics 600
|2/8GB DDR4 Memory||2/8GB DDR4 Memory|
|HDMI 2.0 4K 60fps||HDMI 2.0a 4K 60fps|
|No PCIe||PCIe Gen 2 x 4|
How much will the QNAP TS-451D NAS Cost?
Despite it’s remarkable similarity to the QNAP TS-251D and TS-451A, I think this newer TS-451D will arrive at a higher price point – due in no small part to that newer gen CPU and the benefits in connectivity, HDMI and Memory that it will allow. However, this is still going to be a NAS aimed at the Home and small business owner, so a price around the £350-400 price point (without your local TAX) is fairly likely.
When will the QNAP TS-451D NAS be Released?
Details on the QNAP TS-451D NAS are still so thin that as an estimation of a release date is just too thin on the ground. However, I think we will see this available for release at the start of Q3 (July-Sept) along with the start of a newer generation of QNAP NAS, that one can likely predict will feature 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe, as well as more appearances of that popular Intel J4000 series CPU. Stay tuned here to NASCompares to learn about every new release from QNAP in 2020.
Articles Get Updated Regularly - Get an alert every time something gets added to this page!
This description contains links to Amazon. These links will take you to some of the products mentioned in today's content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
SEARCH IN THE BOX BELOW FOR NAS DEALS