Why You SHOULD Buy the Synology DS220+ NAS
Synology is a good brand, with DSM (their software, applications and GUI) and the DS220+ brings a lot of functionality for home and business users. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider buying the DS220+ NAS in 2020.
The Synology DS220+NAS full review can be found here – https://nascompares.com/2020/06/01/synology-ds220-nas-hardware-review
1. The Price of the DS220+ NAS
If you are considering an affordable Synology NAS that can perform pretty much all of the current expectations of a network-attached storage device in 2020, then it is genuinely hard to find a better-priced example of this right now than the DS220+. Although by no means the most powerful NAS in Synology’ product portfolio, the DS220+ is pretty much the lowest price you are ever going to need to pay to have a device that can support everything from Plex Media Server, to surveillance, to VMs and ultimately to create a multi-tiered backup device for your home or business needs. Likewise, the DS220+ is not the lowest price NAS available from Synology right now but every device in a lower price bracket (J series or Standard) features compromise in one way or another. The price of the Synology DS220+ NAS has managed to remain parallel to that of its predecessor released 3 years before, yet significantly more powerful.
2. The DS220+ features an Impressive CPU
The above-mentioned abilities of the DS220+ at this price point are largely possible thanks to an excellent choice of processor by Synology. Although everyone expected the new DS220+ to feature a dual-core Celeron processor, we did not expect the J4205 processor, which is a pinch more capable than perhaps the J4005 series upgrade we were expecting. This two core processor manages a clock speed of 2.0GHz that can be burst all the way up to 2.9Ghzz. This processor also opens the door too modern features and functionality, such as 4K and 1080p transcoding, AES-NI encryption, greater performing graphical processes and DDR4 memory. The fact this device arrives with 2GB of DDR4 memory is something I will touch on more later, but the CPU choice of the Synology DS220+ is a real winner, at both this price point and this tier of the Synology product family.
3. The DS220+ NAS Features Dual LAN Ports)
One somewhat unexpected hardware choice in the new Synology DS220+, for the better over it’s predecessors, is the fact that it arrives with dual LAN ports on the rear. This means it is able to support link aggregation (or port trunking), effectively doubling potential transmission speeds between the NAS and its connected network. This advantage can be leveraged towards multiple users via a link aggregation supported switch or directly point to point with a PC system with multiple ethernet ports and a sufficient network adapter. Although many users have yet to take advantage of the benefits of link aggregation, it is still nice to have this option in terms of scalability. Likewise, with file sizes growing regularly, the ability to effectively double your network traffic bandwidth availability should not be overlooked.
4. The DS220+ has a USB Copy Button – Hear me out!
Although it may appear somewhat rudimentary and old hat, the fact that the Synology DS220+ arrives with a USB copy button on the front is actually rather useful. The bulk of desktop Synology NAS systems have tended to arrive with a front-mounted USB port for conducting localized backups on a physical drive as part of an extended multi-tier backup strategy, with the majority of these systems having either relied on the host NAS system triggering an automated backup schedule or require the end-user to interact with DSM directly to conduct the backup. Of course, you can enable a setting to allow the Synology NAS system to automatically conduct your chosen USB backup method when a given external drive is connected, but it is always more reassuring to know when you physically connect the USB drive that there is also a physical button to simply click once and action the backup procedure. It’s a small detail, but given the home and small business nature of the DS220+s audience, I like that this device continues to have this rather low key but very useful feature even in 2020.
5. Best Entry Point into DSM with the Synology DS220+
Not only is the Synology DS220+ one of the best price vs hardware NAS’ in 2020, but it is also easily the best entry point into the award-winning Synology diskstation manager (DSM) platform. When you buy any Synology NAS drive system, you aren’t just buying hardware but are really buying a combined hardware and software solution. DSM includes hundreds of useful applications across both first and third party providers and although Synology are keen to advertise the utility of these applications, it is worth highlighting that the availability and extent of individual apps within DSM will often be dictated by the power of your NAS drive. Therefore I’m pleased to say that thanks to the improved hardware in this new DS220+ system, it is easily the best entry point into the DSM NAS platform and all its advantages. This is thanks in no small part to the affordability of the Intel processor, memory available and generally high standard of architecture found in the DS220+ NAS.
Who Offers the Best Price and Service for the Synology DS220+ NAS?Below are the stores we recommend your new DS220+. Each is selected for being the best Price, Value and Service available online right now.
|•Pre Sales advice •RAID setup •After Sales Support||•Next Day [DPD][DHL][TNT]|
|•Fast Leadtimes •Buy now Pay Later||•Next Day [Yodel][Hermes]|
|•Price bidding •Local sellers||•Next Day [Various]|
To be kept upto date on the latest price changes on the DS220+, use our Amazon price watch tool to get regular, tailored updates on when it is at the best price for your budget.
Your email will ONLY be used to update you. It will never be given to a third party without your consent!
What is the Synology DS220+ NAS Best for?It is important that the NAS you buy performs the tasks that you require in order to ensure that you buy with confidence. We at NASCompares have tested, reviewed, compared and rated thousands of different NAS use this experience to let users know what each NAS server is best suited for. In the case of the Synology DS220+ NAS, we can confirm that it is ideal for the following tasks and Users:
- Family Device Backups - Backup up multiple mobile and desktop devices, all to different folders
- Photo Collections - Create an impressive archive of photos for DLNA/Network/Internet Access
- Movie Collections - Watch your Media over the Network/Internet
- Photo/Video Editing - Suitable for Editing 1080p and 4K in more powerful Cases
- Mac Users - Software and User-interface Favoured by Mac Users
- Windows Users - Software and User-Interface Favoured by Windows Users
- Plex Media Server with Transcoding - Suitable for a Plex Media Server with Transcoding for better streaming results
- 4K Transcoding - Playback and adapt 4K Media for the Best Output
- 1080p Transcoding - Playback and adapt 1080p Media for the Best Output
- Medium Virtual Machine Use - Can be used for 3-4 Virtual Machines
- SSD Cache Support - Install SSD drives alongside Hard Drives to have vastly improved Read and Write Speeds
- Home Surveillance - Support upto 10 Cameras with the included Surveillance Software on the NAS
- Shop Surveillance - Support upto 20 Cameras with the included Surveillance Software on the NAS
- Business Surveillance - Support upto and above 40 Cameras with the included Surveillance Software on the NAS
- Compact NAS - Small Chassis NAS for discreet/tight area installation
- File Server NAS - Designed with High volume file transit in mind
- Audio Server - Designed for Audio File streaming and distribution over DLNA/Network/Internet
- Expandable Storage - This NAS allows users to add more storage above the preliminary bays at purchase
- HIGH Mobile App Support for iOS and Android
Accessories to buy with Synology DS220+ NAS?In order to fully take advantage of the benefits of network attached storage on a hardware or software level, it is always good to see which accessories are available to you. Synology has been producing NAS for a number of years now and supports a large number of upgrades and expansion options to further improve your setup. Below are the most popular upgrades for the DS220+ NAS. Always double check compatibility before you buy any accessory, as sometimes their utility will change as firmware upgrades come and go.
Popular NAS Accessories
|RAM upgrade -Official | Unofficial (read more)||HDD - WD Red | Red PRO | Ironwolf | Ironwolf PRO | HGST||NVMe M.2 - Samsung | WD|
|Dual LAN PCIe card||Dual LAN usb3 adapter||Smart switch|
|Expansion - additional 5 bays||UPS - up to 30 min | up to one hour | 1hour + (Read:Cheapest Smart ups for NAS)||Security Cameras - Indoor | Outdoor | HD | FHD | 4K|
|Watch on 4K TV||Play on Shield TV||Stream on SONOS speakers|
How do Customers Review the Synology DS220+ NAS?The DS220+ is a clear winner in a customer review race. People praise innovative clip based trays allowing to replace a drive in seconds. They also like 4 drive options and expandability to 9 drives. It is easy to start with just a few drives and expand later. The RAID5 and RAID6 options are very much appreciated in a 4 or more bay NAS. People also mention transcoding engine usefulness for their home multimedia solution. And finally its simply the software and app available to download from Synology application store free of charge. READ MORE ->
Is there Additional Warranty for the DS220+ to buy just in case disaster strikes?Warranty is always a key concern for those investing in a new piece of technology. Almost all NAS, DAS and Thunderbolt storage brands will provide at least 2 years of manufacturer warranty with your purchase, with most SMB devices arriving with 3 years coverage and more enterprise devices arriving with at least 5 years. In some cases, in the event of a fault, you will need to send to send the malfunctioning device to the point of purchase, but it is often quicker to contact the brand website and it supports section directly, as you can often request that their arrange collection of your item.
Does Synology Warranty Include Data Recovery if my DS220+ Data is Lost?Unfortunately not. Warranty and support for failed Hard Drive and SSD media is a different story and this is conducted by the brand of drive's own support team (WD, Seagate, Toshiba, etc). Depending on the drive, you will have either a 2 year, 3 years or 5-year warranty (depending on the enterprise nature of your drive). However, you can choose to include data recovery rescue packages when purchasing your Hard Drive or SSD for a small sum. This can cost as little as £9.99 and in the event of your drive failing, they will either collect your drive from you, or ask you to ship it to their recovery labs (depends on the package) and then recover your data to a enterprise/forensic standard and ship the data back to you on a new external drive. There are several packages available covering different time periods and uses. Check them out below:
- Seagate Rescue 2 Years Data Recovery Service Plan for HDD and SSD (buy)
- Seagate Rescue - 2 Year Data Recovery Plan for External Hard Drives (buy)
- Rescue - 3 Year Data Recovery Plan for Internal/Bare Drives (buy)
What is Maximum Capacity Hard Drive Compatible with the DS220+?
Can Someone Set the Synology DS220+ NAS all up for me?
- Setting up one customer-supplied network attached storage unit
- Installing storage software on the computer
- Connecting storage unit to a network
- Testing and verifying proper connection
What are Others using the Synology DS220+ NAS for?The Synology DS220+ NAS is a remarkably diverse network tool and you would be surprised at just how many uses the device can support. From Mac to Windows users, from iOS to Android and from Home to Business, the available applications from a brand like Synology mean that the DS220+ is more than a simple backup device. Take a loot below at some popular ways in which users have been making the most of their NAS in 2018/19
- Is Link Aggregated NAS Faster?
- Fastest NAS For Home
- NAS For Plex And Docker Apps With Upgrade/Expansion Option
- Can I Connect Synology Diskstation NAS Directly To A PC Or Mac
- Best Photographer NAS With Cloud Backup
- Plex NAS For Streaming 1080p And 4K Vids
- Plex NAS Under 500
- NAS For Playing Media On 4K TVs
- Home Multimedia & Plex NAS With HomeSEER 3 VM +Extras
- NAS As WEB Server 2 Or 4 Bay
- Access Remotely Pdf, Mkv, Doc, Avi, Mp3
- Fast Multi User 4-Bay NAS With 4K And Remote Access
- NAS For Remote Video Streaming
- Trancoding Comparison – DS3018XS, DS3617XS, DS220+
Best External Drive to Backup the Synology DS220+?A common mistake most first time NAS buyers make is assuming that the NAS will answer ALL of their backup needs. This is mostly true and thanks to systems like a RAID, a NAS is a remarkably robust storage device. However, all too often, users (and their family, friends and colleagues) will back up the contents of their phones, PCs, laptops, cameras, etc to a NAS - then DELETE the files from their device to make space. This is understandable BUT now the files you sent to your NAS are NOT a backup, they are the ONLY copy of those files! So, you have two alternatives to combat this situation. 1, Never delete files from your phone, PC, Laptop, etc. Or 2, Setup a backup system for your NAS. The DS220+ can be used to back up on a schedule/manually to a USB connected drive, to another NAS or to a 3rd party cloud (Amazon S3, ElephantDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc). You can choose to backup specific folders or an entire volume of data, depending on your needs/available space and only needs to be set up once. With external drives costing about £1 per 20GB and cloud servies around £9.99 per TB, you can get some great bargains. They are nowhere near as versatile/futureproof as a NAS, but serve as excellent backup and disaster recovery options.
DS220+ | Can I back it up to the cloud?For backing up your NAS do consider BlackBlaze. You can try it for 15 days free if you don't believe its good. But the main reason is unlimited backup size. Everyone else like Dropbox, Amazon, and others charge per gigabyte. But with this one there is no price difference either you backup 2 bay or 8 bay NAS. The other great feature is version control. So even if you get hit by ransomware type of virus or simply deleted or mistakenly changed few files. You can restore your data from historical backup versions and get all data back. You can get it for free here and try: Home: https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html#af9rgr Business: https://www.backblaze.com/business-backup.html#af9rgr Comparison with other service providers: https://www.backblaze.com/best-online-backup-service.html#af9rgr
DS220+ | Can I do a full system backup of my mobiles, tablets and PC?Acronis True Image is a backup software which will let you backup Computers, Android Phones or Apple iPhones to your NAS. It is an incredible app because not only it can backup few folders, but also an entire image of your computer. This is super important if you need to get your computer restored ASAP after a massive system crash, virus or other disasters (Manual to set up NAS as backup destination). Backing up a mobile device means capturing all of the data – including contacts, calendar, photos, videos and other files – so you still have them if something happens to your smartphone or tablet. Backup software for mobile devices makes sure you are saving copies frequently, reliably and safely. It automatically produces a backup and makes it easy to restore your files. Link to Acronis True Image= http://aklam.io/biKQsh
Choosing the Best Place to Buy a Synology DS220+ NAS
1. Is the Synology DS220+ NAS in stock?Just because the website has a picture and a price of DS220+ NAS, doesn't mean they definitely have it in stock. Be sure to check that the website you choose to buy from either has it listed as 'in stock' at their location OR supplies a lead-time that states when you will receive the unit. Always remember that a 'lead time' only applies to when you make the purchase! i.e. a 3-day lead-time means you will receive the unit in 3 working days of placing your, NOT that you can wait 3 days and then order for the next day.
2. What is the Condition of the Synology DS220+ NAS?Although in most cases, online retailers will ONLY sell units that are new/sealed, it is worth remembering that there are still some retailers that are not as honest and will sell a unit that has been used, ex-display or has been repaired. Typically a retailer will be sure to mention somewhere in their T&C, on the Product Page or their Bio that they only sell new units. It is always worth checking this before making your purchase.
3. Checking Delivery Options of your Synology DS220+ NASThanks to the internet being such a global tool, worldwide shipping is widely available and ordering a DS220+ NAS will not be limited to your regional borders. However always be aware that your country may impose a tax on imports and you should contact the Synology NAS retailer in advance if this concerns you. Also, be sure to check on the website that the retailer will name the logistics company they will be using. We at NASCompares recommend DPD, TNT, UPS, FedEx and DHL as the most reliable worldwide delivery companies and all provide insurance, tracking and signature options, as well as time managed deliveries.
4. Should you Buy your Synology DS220+ NAS with Hard Drives Installed?A popular option that is appearing from several retailers is the choice to buy your DS220+ NAS with hard drives included. Synology, like many NAS retails, do not provide their NAS drives with media included and ask that buyers supply their own. It can be very tempting to buy a NAS and Hard drives together, but always check if 1, Does the online retailer install the drives for you or just send you the NAS and Drives? 2, Do they provide a build and test service where your hard drives and NAS are tested prior to shipping? 3, Does the Online retailer cover build and test services in their terms and conditions with regard to warranty? These are important concerns and a good online retailer will answer positively to these questions. If they don't, shop elsewhere!
5, Buy your Synology DS220+ NAS from a Secure Payment Retail ProviderWith eCommerce shops popping up daily, it is worth remembering that almost every single online retailer uses 3rd party payment providers to handle payments for every Synology DS220+ NAS sold. In real terms that means that the actual process of taking payment will be handled by another company, such as PayPal, WorldPay, SagePay, etc. This is a good thing in many cases as it means your payment will be protected by their own already well-covered terms and conditions. However, if you are considering a retailer that has their OWN payment system, use caution! Be sure to check their T&C regarding payments. 1, When is Payment is taken - now or when the goods are shipped? 2, Does their website feature an SSL certificate (the padlock in the search bar)? 3, Do they hold onto your payment details after the transaction? Be sure to fully check out your retailer's payment options before you buy your DS220+ NAS.
6, Faults and Returning your Synology DS220+ NASConsumers in 2018/19 have a tremendous amount of power and now the majority of purchasing is done online, consumer rights have had to change to reflect this. Despite this, some retailers will still play choose to cut and run in the event of your Synology DS220+ NAS being faulty or even if you are just a private customer wanting to send it back because you do not need it. A good retailer is only as good as their returns and repair policy! All NAS devices arrive with between 2-5 years warranty and in most circumstances, you will be able to ship a faulty unit back to the retailer or arrange a replacement with the NAS brand you buy with, just using your serial number. Options such as the retailer collecting a faulty product vary (largely based on time passed since the original purchase) and turnarounds on a replacement unit arriving can vary, however, what really separates the good/bad retailers is how easy their return process is and how much they help you. If you have any concerns, we at NASCompares recommend you contact the retailer before making your purchase and asking their policy regarding RMAs (faulty goods) and their initial response should tell you everything you need to know.
7, After Sales Support and Advice for your DS220+ NASUnless you have previous experience in network attached storage, you are going to most likely have a few questions regarding the setup of your Synology DS220+ NAS. Most queries about the first time setup of your NAS drive can be addressed with the help and guides included on your device, or via a simple google search. But sometimes you will want to speak to a real human being for help, support and general advice. When deciding where to buy your DS220+ Synology NAS, it is worth spending a moment to consider what is included in that price tag aside from the physical unit. Usually, the cheapest retailer will have such a narrow margin of profit, that post-sales support is impossible in any real sense. Likewise, a specialist retailer in NAS such as SPAN.COM may seem a pinch higher, but this is too factor in extensive post-sales support, contact options and knowledge. Always be sure to factor your own skills/knowledge of network storage when choosing where to buy, as if you think you will lean heavily on the retailer for assistance during setup, then you should opt for a retailer with a reputation for this (and maybe pay a few pounds extra).
Visit the NASCompares Deal Finder to find the best place to buy this device in your region, based on Service, Support and Reputation - Just Search for your NAS Drive in the Box Below
SEARCH IN THE BOX BELOW FOR NAS DEALS